Chapter 22

Even when in their shared room Tae was busy chatting on his phone. His fingers profusely moving on the phone's surface and a wide boxy smile on his lips.

He suddenly looked up and saw Kookie staring at him. Kookie averted his eyes and returned to his homework. Tae's smile fell a little. He was worried about the episode the other night.

He cleared his throat and called,

"Jungookah?"

Kookie hummed in response hiding his face in his book. Tae thought of an idea and a small smile crept onto his lips.

To make Kookie feel involved with this new part of his life, Tae could talk to him about it! Feeling left out was one of the reasons why Kookie was upset.

"You know how Sohyun and I have been dating for a while now?"

Kookie hummed again.

Tae continued, "I was thinking maybe it's time I should kiss her".

Kookie's hand that was moving across his notebook mindlessly, came to a halt.

I should kiss her

Kiss her

KISS HER

Tae's words boomed in his head. Tears filled his eyes. His heart felt the heaviest in forever.

Upon receiving no response from Kookie, Tae cleared his throat and continued,

"I'm just nervous you know," he gave a small chuckle looking at the floor,

"It would be my first real kiss."

Kookie was half listening and half lost in thoughts. His hands trembled, trying very hard to hold onto the pen between his fingers.

I just want to be happy for him.

His mind reminded him of the words he spoke to Jin earlier.

"Kookie?"

Tae's voice brought him back to reality.

"What do you think?" Tae asked, one of his eyebrows raised. Kookie swallowed the knot in his throat. He tooka a deep breath and said,

"You should go for it hyung".

"Yeah?" Tae asked again amusement evident in his voice.

Kookie slightly turned his head towards Tae and saw his face looking at his own eagerly. Forcing a smile, his heart beating slow and feeling heavy, he said in a low voice,

"Yeah...Kiss her."

--

That night Kookie couldn't fall asleep. There was slight lightning in the sky as if a faulty tubelight was at work.

It was cold. Tae was fast asleep, his slow calm breaths could be heard in the stillness of the night.

Kookie felt horrible. He practically gave him permission to kiss the girl, not that Tae needed one. Nonetheless he asked Kookie's opinion.

What should I do?

Kookie sighed internally. He turned his heard towards Tae who laid beside him.

He recollected all the marks, freckles, curves and crevices on Tae's face, as he tried to identify them in the dark.

All he could see was the faint outline of Tae's face in the dim light that came from the streetlight. He turned his body to face Tae.

He'll kiss her tomorrow. He thought.

He could picture it in his head even though he had never seen the girl. Shaking his head, he tried to diffuse the image that had formed in his imagination.

Tae's eyes flickered. His long eyelashes fluttered for a second and his forehead formed a slight crease. As a reflex, Kookie raised his hand, his finger touched Tae's forehead to smoothen it.

He felt calm when Tae returned to his deep slumber and his handsome face looked peaceful when asleep.

Kookie smiled a little at the change. Tae's mouth was slightly open. Kookie moved his hand towards Tae's mouth and closed it.

He felt mesmerised by Tae's slightly swollen pink lips. His index finger grazed over it, barely touching the surface.

The lips he'll kiss her with...

He thought and felt sad again.

The lips she'll get to kiss...

These lips...

A movement. Kookie's eyes widened. He hurried back a few inches, his heart running at a thousand miles an hour.

What was I about to do?

If Tae hadn't moved in his slumber, what would have happened?

In his trance he had failed to notice that he was closing the distance between either of them, eyes on those pink lips, thoughts not so pure.

He lay on his back on the bed, his hand covered his face. He tried to slow down his racing heart.

What is the meaning of this? Why was I going to...

He couldn't even finish his thoughts. And then realisation hit him in Jin's voice.

'You know it. You just don't accept it.'