8

(Dedicated to StanFewster  // vanilla-bambi  // itsloulou03 for taking time to read previous work, it means a lot)

HARRY POV

"Harry."

I managed to make out the voice that was no more than a whisper. And although it was a distant sound through the ringing in my ears and the pain in my head, it was clearer to me than any voice I'd ever heard.

The sweet, high-pitched yet raspy voice echoed through my mind. Before I knew it, my hand released the grip it had held on the oxygen mask, snapping it back into place. The figure infront of me began to blur into nothing before my very eyes, my body slipping deeper and deeper into the dark fate that awaited me. Blue eyes lingered behind my vision. My eyes flickered once more before finally shutting, leaving me surrounded in a black void.

~

I woke to a throbbing sensation in my forehead. With every breath I took it felt like I was underwater, struggling to break the surface. Bandages were tightly wrapped around almost every inch of my body, leaving me mummified. My eyes finally opened. The room around me was white and it was blinding, the smell that filled my nostrils, left a burn in its trace. It was disinfectant. This was a place that I had grown all too familiar with.

The hospital.

What was I doing here this time? Last night was a blur. The last thing that I remember being the way my breath hitched as my head smashed against the steering wheel. Other than that, I remember nothing but darkness.

A ruffle was heard across the room as I struggled to move my body into a position that was capable of seeing who or what that noise was.

"Shit! Sorry Harry, I didn't mean to wake you." The voice spoke.

"It's okay, Niall." I managed to breathe out. My attempt at words was painful. Fuck. I can only hope that I feel and look worse than I actually am.

Niall rushed over to me, his eyes glossy with tears, "No Harry you don't understand. This is all m-my fault."

I shook my head to reassure him that it wasn't. How could it possibly be?

"It is, it really is. I shouldn't have asked you to pick me up from that party. I should've had more patience and not texted you, y-you must've crashed answering my message." He sighed and I truly felt bad for the blonde boy. "What else could've caused this? It was me, there's no other explanation. I'm sorry Harry I'll make it up to you. Do you want money? I don't have much but I can find a way to get it. I'm never going to forgive myself for this." He rambled, pulling his hair in frustration. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Niall, this is not your fault." I began, searching his features and waiting for some sort of realisation to hit him, but it didn't, the poor boy honestly believed that this was his fault. "Do you honestly think my world revolves around you? No offence mate." I let out another laugh, as much as it hurt my body to do so. "It wasn't you who I was replying to, you Irish noodle, some unknown number called me and as I went to pick up, I lost concentration of the road. That's it. So unless you have some kind of trap phone I'm unaware of, I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with you." I gave him a week smile and ushered him to sit down on the edge of the bed.

"You have no idea how much you've worried Anne, she loves you so much, you know that right?" I sighed at the mention of her, she's the one that's managed to keep me grounded throughout all of this. The death of Robin hit us all hard, he was such a caring man and not a day goes by where I don't miss him. But somehow she managed to keep strong for me, and I will be forever grateful for that, because without her I don't think I would've been able to mourn the loss of my father.