36

A month had passed and everything was better than ever. I felt at peace with our situation. The love was stronger than ever, our souls seemingly united for life.

Our jobs were going great, and Harry was spending more time at my apartment than at his own. It was perfect. Nothing could pull us apart.

And yet with everything, Harry had become slightly more distant the past few days. And there was nothing I feared more than losing him. I sat him on the sofa, I had a plan to show him that I loved him more than ever.

"Harry we need to talk."

He looked concerned, "What have I done?" He whispered.

"Nothing, nothing at all, I promise."

"Then what is it, Lou?"

I reached into my pocket, pulling out something that would hopefully be taken as the next step in our relationship. It was probably too soon, and I was aware of that, but I felt it would only make things easier between us.

"You want me to move in?" He asked, his eyes trained on the key I had pulled out.

"Not move in as such, but- I don't know, come round whenever?"

"Maybe you can ask me that again after I tell you what I need to tell you."

I felt my heart drop, "you need to tell me something?"

He sighed, "yeah."

"Okay then, what is it?"

"I've been promoted." Harry's eyes were trained upon his lap.

I felt a smile grow, "Wow, that's great! Honestly I'm so happy for you." I went to pull him into my arms and yet he rejected the gesture.

"It's in America."

"Oh," I said, "erm- well do you still want to be with me?"

"Of course I do." He finally looked up into my eyes.

"When do you leave?" I asked.

"Tomorrow."

"And you couldn't have told me this any sooner?" I was trying with all my will to keep my composure but it was proving harder than I thought.

"I didn't know how to say it."

"Any way would've been better than leaving it until the last minute, like literally the last minute."

"Louis, please don't get mad at me, if you don't want me to take it I won't."

"Of course I want you to take it, how long is it for?"

"A little over a month." He said.

"That's fine, not that you need my permission anyways, but you have my vote. Just you know, don't meet any gorgeous Americans whilst you're there." I laughed, and yet at the back of my mind it was decently sized concern.

"Of course not." He laughed, and placed a kiss against my lips.

"Well you better get packing, you sod." I smiled.

The rest of the evening was spent collecting all of his things, and persuading Harry that he did not need to bring four pairs of identical boots. We slept in each other's arms that night, as had become our new norm. And as much as it was selfish of me to say it, I did not want him to leave. But I would, as that it turn would be the least selfish action that I could do.

This all felt somewhat familiar, allowing for him to leave was difficult and yet deep down I knew it was the best thing for him. It was only one short month, and FaceTime existed, thank god for the twenty-first century.