Chapter two

We walked into music together and Brielle automatically flitted over to the music booth. She liked to play loud on her electric guitar, and if she didn't get in there first, Luke, Calum and Michael would never leave. I leaned up against the door so when Brielle was done I'd get my turn. Just then of course, the four boys from the cafe this morning walked into together and the girls in the room burst into giggles. I rolled my eyes at them and watched as Ashton walked over to his drums and sat down by them while Calum and Michael complained about not being able to get into the booth.

"Brielle always takes hours," Calum whined.

"Especially when she's in a mood. Is she in a mood today?" Michael turned his attention to me.

"She started having her crisis at three in the morning. She's definitely in a mood," I replied and the two boys groaned while Luke just stood there awkwardly. His eyes kept flicking towards the booth and all I could think was that he fancied her.

"Aww Lukey!" Calum called out suddenly, pinching Luke's cheek. Luke swatted the boy away and turned red.

"Okay Luke? I know I'm friends with Claire and Claire's friends with Brielle, but I must say this. She. Is. A. Player. Don't you dare fancy her. You want a one night stand? Sure, she's your go to girl. But not for a relationship. Right Claire?" Michael turned to look at me and I looked away. Both Michael and Brielle were my friends, but what Michael had said was true. Brielle wasn't much for serious relationships after what happened last time. She's just kind of shut down and hasn't taken anything seriously since.

"She had a bad experience," I said slowly. Michael scoffed but I ignored him and continued. "She hasn't been the same. It wasn't a typical break up. Bad things happened, and Brielle isn't the same. None of us are. That's when she had her first existential crisis and she's been having them ever since. So, no. I wouldn't advise you to attempt a serious relationship with her. But not because she's a 'player.' Just because she's just not ready." Before anyone could say anything, Brielle tapped on the glass. I turned around and she pointed at the buttons and mouthed, "Record." I nodded and pressed record while she started to play. I recognised this as one of her original compositions, just with no words yet.

"She's good," Ashton said as he came over and joined us, listening to Brielle play. I nodded and waited until she finished playing and nodded at me before I pressed stop on the sound board. Brielle stepped out and before I could go in, Calum and Michael raced in there, getting caught in the doorway before finally falling through onto the floor. I went to protest but Brielle held up a finger to silence me. "This is their booth. Let them be gay in the gay booth." I cracked up while Luke looked kind of embarrassed. I nudged him with my elbow to let him know she was kidding. He still looked kind of embarrassed.

"Brielle, do you really think they're gay?" I asked her. She snorted.

"Of course," she replied. "Malum for life! It's my OTP."

I started dying with Ashton and Luke just flushed even more, chuckling awkwardly. Brielle looked at Luke and her entire body just shut down. She suddenly turned into a robot.

"Brielle," I said, grabbing her hand. She flinched and looked at me before giving Luke an apologetic look and sprinting out of the class.

"What just happened?" Luke asked me.

"Um, well," I said, looking around nervously. Shit, what was I going to say now?

"Uh, it's about the thing I said before," I said, "Something you did that reminded her of that." Of course I knew what that meant. We were probably going to have another house guest tonight. Luke looked so upset and I patted his arm.