Chapter sixteen

~Claire~

I woke up disoriented and sore, not really sure where I was. Then I noticed Ashton who had one arm wrapped around my shoulders and the other behind his head. I sat up gently so I didn't disturb Ash before pulling on one of his shirts and a pair of his boxers and trudging out into the living room.

On my way there I saw Mikey in the kitchen.

"Hey kiddo," he said, ruffling my hair. I shoved him playfully. "I'm not a little kid."

"Oh she has sex with Ashton one time and she thinks she's a grown up," Michael said I rolled my eyes at him until what he said hit me. I had sex with Ashton.

My eyes widened and suddenly there wasn't enough air in the room.

"Claire? What's wrong?" Michael asked me, directing me to sit at the kitchen table.

"Oh my God," I said, burying my face in my hands.

"What?" Mikey asked, pulling my hands away from my face.

"I was a virgin before yesterday," I whimpered. "What if he got what he wanted and decides to break up with me?"

"Ash isn't like that," Michael reassured me but panic flooded my mind. What if he thought I wasn't good and broke up with me? Or only went out with me to get me in bed?

Michael pulled me in for a hug. "Everything's gonna be fine. If Ashton breaks up with you, I'll kick his arse, plain and simple. You're like my little sister Claire, so don't worry about it. I love you okay?" He kissed the top of my head and I nodded, my face buried in his chest.

"I love you too," I mumbled.

~Ashton~

I woke up and found my bed empty. The first thought that went through my head was that Claire only used me for sex, but I quickly dismissed it. I knew Claire. She wasn't like that.

When I got out of bed and headed towards the living room I heard voices in the kitchen and stopped. I peeked around the corner and saw Mikey hugging Claire.

"I love you okay?" he said, kissing the top of Claire's head.

"I love you too," she replied, shattering my heart. Tears filled my eyes but I blinked them away and went back to my room, getting dressed. I couldn't stay here. I had to go see Niall.

When I walked out to leave, I saw Mikey and Claire on the couch. She had her head on his shoulder, not really paying attention to whatever he was watching.

"Hi," she said, smiling warmly at me. That smile usually made me so happy, but right now it filled me with heartbreak.

"Um, I have to go," I muttered quickly, grabbing my car keys and running out of the front door. I got in my car and drove away, the tears falling freely now. I couldn't believe it. Claire didn't even want me. She loved Mikey, and he loved her too. I was filled with a mixture of heartbreak, dread, betrayal and anger. Claire was supposed to be mine, not his.

I pulled up at my friend Niall's house and quickly knocked on the door.

"Hey Ash-what's wrong?" Niall asked immediately when he opened the door.

"Can I c-come in?" I asked. Niall nodded and led me into the living room.

"Tell me everything," he commanded. So I did. I told him about having the biggest crush on Claire and finally getting her to be my girlfriend and being so happy. I told him about how we had sex last night and this morning she told Mikey she loved him and he said he loved her too.

"It just hurts," I whimpered. Niall got up and returned a few minutes later with a bunch of pizza rolls, a box of tissues, some blankets and some video games.