Chapter 17

Ethan's POV

"Do you think he's doing alright?" Skylar looked over at me in worry.

We were right now heading towards our house in LA. We flew as soon as we could, since that's what we thought would be the bet. Skylar was worried about Ben, who was apparently hit by a car in my story.

I was mentally wishing for her anger to be in minimal amounts so that I don't have to struggle a lot. I'm not exactly on her great side so if I manage to make her hate me more, there's no way I'm going to get along well with her.

"You know you don't have to worry so much about him." I said, "He's just met with an accident-"

She turned around to give me a startled look. "I can't believe you're jealous over this. He is your best friend, Ethan. At least pretend that you care about him."

"I'm not jealous about you worrying over him, Skylar." I said. "I'm saying that you're worrying over nothing."

"He met with an accident, how can that keep me calm?" Skylar said.

"Actually, there's something I need to tell you." I said, looking at her hesitantly.

"Can it wait?"

"I'm afraid it can't." I said.

She sighed. "Okay, what is it?"

"I lied to you about something." I said, keeping my voice low.

"I'm not even surprised," she snorted. "What did you lie about this time?"

"I-"

"Don't tell me you lied about Ben's accident, Ethan." She said, her own face going serious with her assumption.

I guiltily brought my face down and tried to escape from her glare.

"Oh my god." She gasped. "You did, didn't you?"

"I'm sorry, I-"

"Why the hell would you do that?" She yelled, making our driver shiver in response. I looked over him as he watched us with a worried expression.

"I knew there was no other way I could bring you back home." I said. "London wasn't safe anymore."

She gave me an irritated look. "How you be scared of some business rival and stop your vacation? I thought you were brave."

"I'm not arguing on you with this, Skylar, but you need to know that Jake and Luke are literally behind you to get back at me. I can't risk anything, even it proves that I'm a coward."

"You didn't have to worry so much about me!" Skylar said, clutching her hair in frustration. "I was happy being there. I was beginning to curse less about this marriage and you just deprived me of that!"

"I couldn't help it, baby-"

"Stop calling me that!" She said in anger and got out of the car. I hadn't realised until now that we reached our house.

The driver looked at me with concern and I just sighed. "Can I get some advice about how to deal with a crazy wife?"

He gave me a weird smile. "You should probably give her what she wants."

"But that's not safe for her." I said. "She's in danger, William. And she needs to understand the severity of the situation."

"Well, I'm sure she'll understand once you explain to her genuinely about your worry." He said. "You should let her have her way with you until them."

I gave him a flat look. "You're basically asking me to suck it up and pay for my deeds."

"Those aren't my words exactly." William chuckled. "But yes, you can assume what you want. As long as it helps you."