Chapter 30

Ethan's POV

"Are you sure?"

"I'm afraid, yes." Owen murmured. "They searched the entire apartment. They couldn't find even a trace of her."

It was like the anger was just choking me from inside. I suddenly felt my clothes tighten, triggering the urge to rip them apart.

"She said she would not step out of the house." I said in a cold voice, almost accusing Owen.

His face remained unchanged. "She left, Ethan. She probably went to him."

I threw him a murderous glare.

"That came out wrong." He said, before my hand could punch him on the face. "All I'm saying is, maybe she thought she could handle the problem on her own. Maybe she just gave in to his demands to save the girls."

I groaned in anger and broke the first thing that came to my hands. "Why did she do it?! How could she just trust him like that!"

"Ethan, there is absolutely no point in breaking things like that. What we have to be worrying about is how to get her safe!"

"Now it makes sense.." I said. "Now I know how Jake let one of the girls go. Maybe that's what Skylar wanted in return to give in to his demands."

"Probably." He said. "But it's not too late. We should be on our way to stop him."

"No, Owen." I said, eyeing him with a serious look. "I have a better plan."

***

Skylar's POV

"You promised you will let her go." I looked at Jake, accusing him for not staying up to his words.

"And you promised you will not let anyone know about it." He glared back, clutching his phone in anger.

"I never told anyone. What am I supposed to do if they figure things out on their own? I did what you asked me to do. I'm here. Now you need to let her go." I said, folding my hands at my chest.

He gave me one last look before dialing something on his phone. "Yeah. Drop that girl off."

He cut the call without listening to the other person on the phone and looked at me. "She will be there in a few minutes."

I nodded. "Good."

He later gestured for all of his men to move out of the room. All the confidence or strength I had until now almost vanished into the air when the men, one by one, left the room, leaving just the both of us behind. The door was locked, showing almost no way that I could use to escape from him.

Instances of the earlier part of the day replayed in my mind. I remembered how I left our house and gave into his demands. How his men caught hold of me in the middle of the street and pushed me into their car. I remember the dust of the old vehicle we travelled in, their threatening words about how they'd not think even for a second to snap Mila's neck if I don't cooperate with them.

Above all, Ethan's words rang in my ears. I could still sense the worry in his voice, the concern in his tone and how stressed he was to handle everything. A part of me still regrets not believing in him to make things right, but the other part me knows why I had to take the call. If, unfortunately, one of the girls had gotten hurt before Ethan got to them, I would never find it possible to forgive myself for it.

At that point, I didn't know if it was a sane decision. All I could think of was how this wouldn't have happened if I weren't involved in the first place. If something were to happen to me, then I think it will all be fair. But the fear in me rose, although a million thoughts of strength tried to suppress it.