3

Paige

I am surprised to find mum's car parked outside as I go in.

"Mum. Why are you home early? "

"I took a break, sweetie. I'm just resting."

Took a break? Do nurses take hospital breaks to relax on their couch?

"Um okay, mum, " I say, heading to my room.

"Paige, where are you returning from? "

I blush a little before answering," I was just hanging out, mum. "

"With Brian? " She asks, a slight smile on her face.

"Yeah. Wait, how did you know? "

"You should have seen the smile on your face when I asked that. "

Geez! I have to work on my transparency!

She smiles. I can tell she's about to say something but I decide to speak first because I don't want to talk about Brian with her.

"When's dad returning? " I cut her off.

"In a few days, why? "

Should I tell her that I want them to meet Brian? No. Not yet.

"Just curious. I've got to rest mum, good night, " I say planting a kiss on her cheek.

I've got to find the perfect dress to wear tomorrow. I have to look good to his parents.  I open my closet and start searching for the right dress.

"Paige? " Phoebe calls, knocking on the door.

"What do you want? "

"Can I borrow your flash drive for a while? " She asks as she enters my room.

"Whatever. "

She's about leaving but she stops. "Why are you turning your closet upside down, another date with Brian? "

"No. It's even bigger. How does this look on me? " I ask, putting on a dress that I haven't worn in a while.

"It's awful. What's up, Paige? "

This is the tenth dress I've tried on and it's still awful! I don't understand why my clothes has decided to look awful on me at this particular moment. I mean, I always imagined that they would fit perfectly.

"Paige. What's happening tomorrow? " Phoebe asks, disrupting my thoughts.

"Well, tomorrow, Brian is going to introduce me to his parents officially as his girlfriend. "

Phoebe laughs, "You guys are getting married now? " She asks.

"Don't be silly, Phoebe. Of course not, He just wants them to meet me because I'm important to him. "

I said the part about being important to him with a tone lower than which I was initially speaking with. I don't know why.

"He cheats on you and in the next two days he's trying to entice you by asking you to meet his parents. Interesting. "

He didn't actually cheat on me, did he? Why Is Phoebe like this?

"Phoebe. That's not the situation here. "

She walks towards me, places her hands on my shoulders and speaks, "Stop being blind, sis."
With that she walks out of the door.

She doesn't understand. She's just a 14 year old kid. I search my closet for a while till I find a dress that doesn't look too bad. I'm so exhausted, I need to rest.
                      ******************