40

Paige

"Hey, You were supposed to be here an hour ago.
What took you so long? " I ask as I close the door behind him.

"Sorry, I was delayed by a painting job and I had to rush home to take a shower, "  he speaks, ruffling his hair.

I have the sudden urge to run my hands through his hair too and that's what i almost do. What's wrong with me?

"What? " he asks, a huge smile exposing his lips to reveal his teeth.

"What? " I repeat his question.

"Why are you looking at me like that? " He asks.

I gulp, "Looking at you how? "

He closes the space between us and runs his hands slightly through my hair, "Like you want to kiss me. "

I freeze. Seconds pass before my mouth is able to release words out of them. "Oh shut up. What would even make you think so? " I turn away from him and say, " I wouldn't want to kiss you not even in a million years." But it sounds more like I'm trying to convince myself than a true statement.

"Ouch. Come on, I was kidding, Paige," he says, resting his hands on my shoulders.

"Yeah. Whatever. "

He turns me around so that I am facing him, "Come on, don't get upset with me," he says, his hands rubbing my shoulders.

I don't think I ever want his hands to leave my shoulders. I don't think I should be having such thoughts too.

"Okay fine, I forgive you, " I say, trying to fix my gaze anywhere but on his.

He slightly tilts my head up so that my eyes will meet his. We stay like that for a moment, our eyes locked, and his hands slightly placed on my jaw. The stare from his brown eyes makes me so weak that I want to fall or run.

He releases his hands from my jaw and takes my hand in his. "How are you, Paige? How have you been? I'm sorry, I can't stay long as planned. I just need to know how you're doing. "

"Wait. What? Why are you leaving soon? We were supposed to make popcorn together."

His gaze is steady on me again and I know his eyes are saying something. I try to read what his eyes are saying but all I can see is fear. 

He pulls his hands away from mine and walks around the living room. "You didn't answer me, Paige. How are you doing? " he asks, his back is turned towards me as he speaks.

"You did not answer me either? Why are you leaving soon? "

The only response I get is his silence.

"Kyle. What is wrong? Are you okay? Can you please talk to me? " I ask him, his back still faced to me.

Silence again.

"Kyle?"

"Yeah, " he answers faintly.

"Look at me, "  I order.

He does not change his position or even utter a word. What's wrong with him?

"Kyle. I said look at me! " I order again.

This time he turns and lets his eyes meet mine again. It takes all the strength in me not to look away.

"You know, you never tell me anything. It's unfair. You practically know everything about me but whenever i ask of things concerning you, you always change the subject. This is not how friendship works! Our friendship is not balanced, Kyle. You know everything about me but I barely know anything about you, it's unfair!" I think I'm screaming now but I don't care. I'm too angry to care.