43

Kyle

It's been two weeks since I kissed her. Two weeks since I last saw her. I've been hearing from her, though but she's been avoiding having to see me. That's okay, she probably feels uncomfortable after I kissed her.

I hit my left palm lightly on my forehead. Why was I so stupid? Why did I even proceed to kiss her? I can't believe I even thought she wanted to kiss me too, I really did. I mean she was being responsive to the kiss we shared till she gave me a different response, a slap!

The ringing of my cellphone interrupts my thoughts. Somehow, even before I pick it I know who it is. I let out a huge breath I never even knew I was holding in before picking it.

"How are you, Mabel? "

"What do you care? If you wanted to know how I was doing, you'd be here now! Or you'd at least try to check up on me often!"

I close my eyes and slightly rub my forehead. "Mabel, I do care about you, you know that."

"No. You don't. You don't care about any of us. If you did you would not just leave and make us this worried! You only care about yourself. The only reason why you're not here is because you're being selfish!" I hear her voice break as she speaks.

For so long I've been putting the needs of others before mine, I just wanted to put myself first for once. Is that a wrong thing to do? Is my absence really hurting them like she claims it is?

"Hey Mabel. Please don't cry, I'll be back home soon."

I hate that I have to lie to her to make her feel better. Honestly, I don't think I want to return home anytime soon.

"Yeah, you'll be. You don't have a choice. "

I don't have a choice? No, please don't tell me the situation I fear is about to happen.

"What do you mean? "

"Father and mother started conducting a search for you. I have not been able to reach out to you because mother has been watching me closely. They will find you soon even if you don't want to be found. I tried my best really but there wasn't much I could do anymore. I just feel happy that I I finally found a moment to call and inform... "

"Mabel, who are you on the phone with? " I hear mum's voice slightly from the other side of the call. She must have walked in on Mabel making the call.

"No one, mum. Just catching up with a friend, " she says, her voice shaky.

"Your brother is missing, Mabel. This is not a time for chit chats with friends! All hands should be on deck to find him! You know I really thought it was like last time when he went away for a month and secretly lodged in our family hotel. I really thought so. But we have been secretly conducting a search for him and we discovered that he's not in this town! What if something happened to him? "

After mum speaks, the call gets disconnected. The worry I heard in her voice haunts me. Was Mabel right? Am I just being selfish? I was getting really suffocated and I had to leave because I wanted to breathe. Now, they have begun a search for me, an official one and it won't be long before they find me. I have to leave, I have to return before I'm found.

My phone beeps with a new text messages.

Paige - Hey, you still coming?

I lie on the sofa, no desire to move in me. She finally agreed to see me today and now this comes up. It won't be long before she hears the news about me, it won't be long before anyone hears about my situation. I have to tell her personally before she hears it generally the way everyone would.