10

Paige

When I wake up, I realize that I fell asleep on the bathroom floor. I cried myself to sleep. A glance at the mirror shows me exactly how horrible I look at the moment. My body aches and I'm not sure I want to function today.

I reach for my phone and realize that Brian sent a message.

Brian - Good morning my princess, did you sleep well? I was kind of worried last night.

My lips expands, forming a smile. I'm glad that today is starting well. I text him that I'm okay and he doesn't have to worry.

I clean up and start heading for breakfast. I'm not surprised to find no one in the dining. Mum must have left for the hospital already. I sit on the chair and start eating my breakfast that mum preserved for me.

Beside my breakfast, I find a note from mum stating that business trip was extended so it could take longer for him to return.

My heart clenches because I don't feel like it's a business trip that's keeping him away. I want my suspicions to be wrong. I don't want dad to be having an affair. I sigh as I place the note back on the table.

Phoebe's friends came over, she has company, lucky her. I'm not one who had much friends back in high school.  I wasn't some kind of introvert either. I mean, I talked to people, I talked to people alot but that didn't make them my friends. The one person I could truly call a friend travelled to Africa with her family for the summer and I've not been able to contact her ever since then.

Brenda is one in a million, her kind of people are rare. She's different and sometimes I wonder how someone could possess an extremely good heart, the way she does. Brenda is an African but the difference in our skin colour has no impact on the friendship we share. She's one of those people you would like to keep around forever. I'd call her my best friend but it's not like I have a variety of friends to choose from. She's my only true friend. And when I finally get to hear from her, I'll kill her for making me wait this long before reaching out to me.

My phone notification tells me I have a text.

Brian - Dinner tonight, You and I. You in?

Tonight? I've gone out with Brian alot but we've never gone out on a dinner date. We've never gone out at night.

Me - I'll think about it, I'm not so sure mum would like me going out at night.

Brian - I'll bring you back home safe and we won't go somewhere far, I promise.

I smile and call mum.

"Paige, how are you? "

"Mum. Sorry to disturb you but I wanted to ask if I could go have dinner with a friend tonight? "

Hey, I'm not lying. Brian's not just my boyfriend. He's my friend too.

"Awwn sweetheart. I'm glad you're finally deciding to leave the house a little. Of course you can, but text me before you leave and text me when you arrive. Don't stay out too late. When I get back home, we'll talk about this friend taking you for dinner."

I smile. Of course she knows it's Brian. She just wants me to tell her myself.

"Bye mom. Thanks I love you," I say before hanging up.

Me - Alright I'll come along.

Brian - Thanks babe, but we're only going out on one condition.

Really?

Me - What?

Brian - You have to do this, it's absolutely necessary. You have to give me something in return.

Me - Alright baby, what do I have to do and give you huh?

Brian - It's quite simple. You have to bring your smile along with you and you have to give me a happy face while you're in my presence. You can do that for me right?

My cheeks hurt from smiling.

Me - Awwwn, thanks baby. I'll do that. I love you.

Brian - I love you too, my baby girl.
............

"Beautiful as always, " Brian comments as we close the door behind us.

I blush a little.

"You wouldn't tell me if I looked ugly. "

He pauses and plants his lips on mine, "How can you not know that it's impossible for you to look ugly? "

My heart is racing faster than a racing car and my stomach are dancing with butterflies.

"Stop it Brian, I don't want to smile to much. "

He opens the passengers door for me and he fixes my seat belt when am in.

"You have to smile too much. Your smile is what makes my heart feel satisfied. "

Kill me!

I lean forward and kiss him briefly.

"I love you, " I say against his lips.

He smiles, "Me too. "

It doesn't take long before we arrive. I don't fail to inform mum that I've arrived. We walk hand in hand as we enter. I can't believe this place isn't far from my home and I don't know it. Maybe I should start going out a little bit more.

"Paige, I have really missed you, " he says as we get seated.

Maybe, I didn't make the wrong decision by letting him back into my life. Maybe he has changed. Maybe he won't hurt me again.

While waiting for the waiter, we're talking and catching up on the things we've been doing when we were apart. A girl passes our table and wraps her arm around Brian.

"Hey, Brian. So we meet again. "

I watch her hand caress his shoulder and I feel something I don't like building in my chest.

"Daphne! " he says with recognition.

They both exchange pleasantries and when she finally acknowledges my presence, she says, "Is this your girlfriend? The one you told me about? "

I should feel better that she knows about me right? I don't. Clara knew he had a girlfriend too.

"Yeah. Her name's Paige. Paige meet Daphne, a friend of mine. Daphne, meet my girlfriend, Paige. "

"Hello. Nice to meet you, " she says.

I smile. Maybe I'm over reacting. Maybe they are just friends.

"I'll be leaving now. I don't want to ruin your fun. Call me later? " she asks.

"Sure, " Brian says.

They exchange a smile that makes me uncomfortable before she leaves.

"So how long have you known Daphne? " I ask when she's gone.

"Not for long. Why? "

You guys seem very familiar with each other. It bothers me but maybe it's just my jealousy.

"Nothing. "

"Awwwn. My baby is jealous. "

Yeah I am. She's pretty.

"Of course not, I'm not. "

"Yeah you are. it's so cute. "

I roll my eyes.

"Sorry for keeping you waiting. Can I have your order? "

I turn to look at the waiter and I'm shocked to the bones by the person I see.