26

Paige

"Paige, we might have a problem, " Brenda says as she settles on my bed.

Having problems? That seems to be the order of my life these days.

"What problem? " I ask as I stand in front of the mirror, running a comb through my hair.

"Well, my mum already sent out invitations for my birthday to our high school mates I used to hang out with, " Brenda says.

Okay, does she knows the definition of a problem?

"And? " I ask, still running the comb through my hair.

"She invited Brian. "

Alright, that can be classified as a problem.

Silence engulfs us and my hand freezes on the comb.

"You know we all used to hang out at home after school. She doesn't know that, we aren't friends anymore. But I can cancel his invitation, Paige. I just wanted you to know first. "

My hand unfreezes and the comb starts moving down my hair again.

"It's okay, " I say.

"What's okay? " she asks me.

"Everything. it's okay if he comes. "

"Do you want to see him? " She questions.

No. I don't even want to be anywhere near him. I don't know if I can bear it.

"Brenda, it's okay if he comes. It's been over two weeks since we broke up anyway. "

I wish I were as confident as I sound. I don't want Brian there but since he's already invited, I don't want his invitation to be cancelled because of me.

"I'll be by your side okay? And if he does anything that will make you want him to leave, he'll leave. "

I nod in appreciation.

"Anyway, have you invited Mr. cute shirtless guy? "

I shake my head, "We haven't actually gotten to spend time in a while. We talk on phone but we haven't really had time to talk talk. "

"Oh so you want to talk talk with him? " Brenda asks as she raises her eyebrows up.

She always does that when she's teasing me.

"Brenda stop. it's not what you think. "

"Stop? But I'm not even doing anything. Anyway, call him now. "

"What? "

"Call him? My birthday is in two days and I want him to be there with you. "

"I'll invite him later. "

"No now. I want to see your facial expression as you speak to him on the phone. "

I've probably said this a thousand times but I'll say it again, Brenda is crazy!

"My airtime isn't sufficient to make a call," I lie.

I don't want her to tease me when I'm talking to him or worse, scream something she's not supposed to into the phone.

"Well, Come on let's go get you some or even better let's go to the beach so we can invite him in person. I actually want to meet him. "

I do want to see him too. If Brenda teases when we get there, I'll just pretend not to notice.

When we go down the stairs, we hear the doorbell ringing.

"Paige, guess what? Mr. cute shirtless guy is already here! " Brenda screams as she opens the door.