31

I pace around the waiting room nervously as I wait for the doctor to leave dad's ward and tell us what's wrong.

"Paige, take a seat, calm down. Your dad will be fine. "

Calm down? How can I calm down when my nerves are on fire ? When I don't even understand  what's going on anymore.

"Why are we even here, Aunt Hilda? Why didn't we just take him to the hospital mum works at? It would have been better there. Why isn't mum here? Where is she? "

Right now in my head, little monsters are piercing needles all over it.

"Sweetheart. You need to calm
down, " she says, pulling me into an embrace.

Tears start spilling from my eyes. What if something bad happens to dad? I'm tired, I'm just tired.

"Are you the family of Mr. Benson?" A
voice asks behind us.

"Yes we are. What's the situation with him, doctor?" Aunt Hilda asks.

"Please come with me, "he says.

My leg trembles as we follow him to his office.

"Have a seat, " he says.

We both seat down and he smiles. He's smiling? That's a good thing, right?

"Mr. Benson is  fine. We just have to keep him under our care for a while. What he suffered was a case of high blood pressure. It's a good thing he arrived here when he did. "

The doctor is talking but I can't really make out what he's saying. Something about high blood pressure, stress, diet, slight injury to the head it's all jumbled. The only thing ringing in my brain brain is that my dad is okay.

"Paige Benson? " The doctor calls.

I nod because I don't even know how to speak right now.

"He requested to see you first. "

I nod again. My dad is okay. Nothing bad will happen to him.

"Now Paige, remember not to bring up anything strenuous. Your dad need maximum rest and care right now. "

I nod and start heading for the ward. Dad is lying on the bed, a bandage wrapped around his head.

"Sweetheart, you're here. "

The tears start spilling again, I sit on his bed and hug him slightly because I'm afraid it will hurt if I hug him the way I want to.

"Dad. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I screamed at you. I'm so sorry, I just lost it. I don't want to lose you. Are you hurt? Does your head hurt."

He pulls me into a tighter embrace, the one I was scared of giving him. His hands slightly run through my hair and he says, "I'll be fine. Why did you do that, sweetheart? "

I'm not mad anymore that he's pretending not to know what I was talking about. I'm not mad at him, I just want him to be okay. I want my dad to be away from this hospital ward.

I shake my head, "I don't want to talk about it."

I don't want to put him under stress.

He cleans my eyes with his hands, " Sweetheart, stop crying. I'm not in pain. "

"Why were you taking pills, dad? " I ask feeling guilty that I didn't ask earlier.

"I thought you've grown so big and didn't care about your old man anymore. I'm happy you're proving me wrong. "

Tears of guilt start spilling again.

"Dad. I love you, " I say.

"I know. I love you too, sweetheart. Sweetheart, I didn't just return home because I wanted to spend time with you guys. I mean that's a reason but that's not the only reason. "