9. It's A Trip

"I spy something black, white, and cold."

"An's unfinished cup of coffee?"

I chuckled at the werewolf, who's the only one genuinely interested in our I Spy game. Meanwhile, the other two remains bored, though I won't blame them since we've been in the road for about four hours now. We left Caelfall around 7 a.m. and it is now 11:20. "That's a pretty good guess," Drew's coffee is indeed black, inside a white coffee cup, and it had gone quite cold. "but no."

"The polluted air?" The owner of the cold coffee murmured, slouching down beside Lysander in the backseat.

"Not even close."

"How about a newspaper?"

"That's not even - "

"A dirty ice?"

"What the f- no, Lysander."

"It's me, isn't it." The mosquito on my right crosses his arms and legs, squinting his crimson eyes at me.

I returned the stare with a sheepish grin. "Ding ding ding, we have a wiener." Idris huffed a breath. "You guys suck at this game. Especially you, Idris. You suck at everything." I grinned wider, causing Drew to facepalm herself. "Get it? Because you're a vampire?"

Idris gave me another 'I-am-not-amused- look. "Hilarious."

"Lysander seems to think so. Right, Xander?" The werewolf seems to have drifted all his attention to his mate all of a sudden, burying his face in her shoulders. "You guys are so lame. What did you old ass supernaturals even do when you're traveling? Like, talk to each other about life or what?"

"My pack and I like to race when we migrate." Lysander responded, eyes lighting up. "Whenever we would move from cities to cities, states to states, coasts to coasts, we like to play games. It's usually racing. Whoever arrives at our destination lasts gets to hunt for everyone who participated."

All I'm imagining is a bunch of puppies running all over the place. Instead of cars on the freeway, there are puppies. Puppies on steroids.

I giggled at the thought.

"And how many times have you lost?" Idris questioned curiously, raising a brow.

"None." The wolf says smugly. "I always win. I was one of the fastest runner in Sirius."

"Sirius? Last I've checked, werewolves cannot travel in space."

Puppies in space. Puppies on steroids, in space.

"It's his pack's name, genius." I smiled at the two of them. "Very fitting, honestly. So, you always won races and people bring you food? No wonder house puppies like to run and then wait for people to bring them food. Their ancestors are just lazy asses. Evolution is great. I know why mosquitoes are being smacked all the time." My eyes darted back to Idris, who waited for my witty comment. "It's because mosquitoes' ancestors are very annoying too, and you want to smack them a lot sometimes. Isn't that right, Idris?"

Instead of replying, Idris turned up the radio and gave me a very massive sarcastic smile.

"I'm just joking, mosquito." I nudged his arm with my right elbow. "You're not too bad, that I want to smack you all the time. I only want to smack you once every blue moon."

He let out a chuckle. "Well, I'm quite flattered, hobbit."

***

Switching places, Drew now takes the wheel while I stayed in the back with Lysander. Idris had fallen asleep, and Drew is too concentrated on the road with her loud music.