16. Waterfall

This is the worst hangover ever. I'm never ever going to drink again. My head hurts so much, it's like I'm using my own power on myself. I hate everything. I hate that stupid rock that tripped me. I hate that stupid leaf that fell on my face. I hate that bird who was singing too loud that it woke me up. I hate the sun. I hate witches. I hate alcohol. I hate headaches.

"Holy fucking shit!" I stopped marching angrily at the sight of a blonde haired man drinking blood from a deer. As soon as I distracted the man with my screaming, the deer took the chance to run off. I stared at Ulysses' bloody mouth and cheeks. Seven in the morning and I'm looking at Ulysses' bloody face. It's too early for this.

"You could have drank from that same deer." Ulysses used the hem of his shirt to wipe the blood off his face. "Good morning, Nazari. Nice hair." My curly hair is all over the place. I am wearing sweatpants and the yellow shirt that Idris despises so much. I'm not exactly looking my best, but I've literally just woken up to the worst hangover of my life. I went out to the woods to walk and clear my headache, but it's not working out too well. "By the way, how are you adjusting to your new diet? From human to vampire meals?"

I leaned my back against a tree. "It's whatever."

"And what about your new life? As one of us?"

"It's whatever."

The blonde vampire stood across from me with a grin. "Been living with Idris, have you? Tell me, does he still do that little drool when he sleeps or has he finally outgrown that?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. "You watched him sleep?"

"Who wouldn't? It's Idris."

I blinked vigorously and stared at him with disbelief. Ulysses. Idris. No way. "Were you and him...."

Ulysses tilted his head. "What?"

"You know.... a thing?"

"A thing? Elaborate, half blood."

"Like, did you and him used to date?" My face heated with embarrassment as I avoided eye contact with the blonde man.

"Ah. I see."

I was forced to look at him again as I detected his teasing tone. Just as I predicted, Ulysses has a massive teasing grin. "Nothing! You see nothing. Wipe that grin off your face."

Ulysses laughed loudly and began to walk away. My feet immediately stalked after him as he spoke. "No, we did not." My shoulders suddenly felt lighter. "He and I were close friends, as you know." I vaguely remember last night, Idris was telling me about his royal family background. Prince Idris. Holy shit. "Our parents were close, so he and I were bound to be friends. We grew up together. Well, for a few good years, until he left." He glanced at me briefly. "You remember why, right?" I nodded.

I remember, Idris and Ulysses used to be friends but Idris left because they had different opinions about humans. Idris wanted no part in harming humans just to drink their blood, while Ulysses and many other vampires thought otherwise. Idris left and found a few other vampires who think the same as him, including Juliet, Bobby, Eleanor, and basically everyone in his clan. That is, until two months ago when Idris made a deal with vampires. In exchange for the cure, so vampires can walk during daylight, vampires will not harm humans and will only drink human blood unless they are already dead or if they have consent.

"Idris and I were like brothers, before he left." Ulysses continued. "That being said, I know all the people he fancied and you know what? I like you the best, human vampire." For the second time this morning, I tripped on a rock, then I hit my face on a tree branch. Ulysses paused on his tracks, still wearing that grin. "Anyway, I believe there's a meeting that will start in a couple of minutes."