28. General

RAMI

***

Idris, Nina, and I left New Jersey at sundown. Two vampires and one white furred hybrid ran through states, stopping for nothing. The streets are almost empty, as most humans are inside their homes with their families. Even the number of police officers and firefighters who are meant to assist people have decreased. We did pass by a few people drinking their life away, truly thinking it's the end of the world. And of course, people who are getting high on drugs without a care in the world. Must be nice. Currently, the world is quiet. No engines from transportation, no machine hums. Not even the birds are out. No tweets and no hissing from whatever creepy crawlies linger around us. In fact, it's so silent in our path that all I can hear is our footsteps. Every step, grass on our feet, the crushing of rocks and twigs at our heavy weight.

As we rush through forests, Idris leads the way while Nina ends our trail. She decided to be in her hybrid form, stating that she is faster on four legs. Before leaving Silverstein, Doctor Maxine insisted that we pack more Truxols, Tranquilizers and Mercury, so now we carry a backpack full of them, along with one iron spear, one silver stake and one wooden stake. Idris carries the two stakes in his jacket's pockets while I have the iron spear securely attacked in the backpack full of the chemicals. I'm carrying a spear in the 21st century. I'm sure I look like I'm going to Comic Con. Even when I'm about to save the world, I still manage to be a nerd.

I kept my gaze ahead, making sure to watch Idris. One, to make sure nothing happens to the prince, and two, to make sure we don't lose each other. He is almost like a shadow. If it wasn't for his pale skin, he could disappear in darkness whenever he places himself away from sunlight. Swift and silent, he moves from one spot to another without leaving any traces.

Then, a bark called for my attention. Nina had slowed down her pace, ears twitching as if sensing something.

And that was when a white figure leaped out from the trees on our left, landing on the pale vampire. One more followed, and then three more, circling around me, and around Nina. The pack stared at her with confusion. One of them, yet she is with us. Immediately, I took the iron spear from the bag strapped on my shoulders, and pointed the sharp tip towards the hybrids. Idris managed to free himself from the hybrid that tackled him, and ran at my side, while Nina took my left. The three of us huddled together as five hybrids crowded around us, growling and baring their sharp, bloody teeth at us. Nina snarled back at them, digging her pointy nails on the green and brown ground. Idris clung onto a wooden dagger, preparing for a fight.

One hybrid in front of Nina made the first move. It launched itself towards Nina. Another one launched for Idris and two jumped for me. The three of us ran in separate directions. I didn't particularly cared about where the remaining hybrid went, but I knew the other two can handle themselves. Hopefully. While running from the two wolves on my tail, I reached into the bag and attempted to get a truxol that will send the angry puppies to deep sleep.

I made the big mistake of looking back to see how close they are and saw that they weren't too far behind, and I tumbled down to the ground thanks to a root of a nearby tree.

"Down, boys." I put a hand out towards them. "You are good boys. You are men's best friend." I said slowly while my other hand frantically dug through the bag. All the way at the bottom, I felt a smooth, round object with little holes at its surface. "You are very good dogos." I smiled nervously, standing up.

One of them growled and stayed down, but the other was an impatient sour wolf and stepped forward. That's when I dropped the truxol. I held my breath as white smoke came out and clouded my surroundings. I waited for a minute and waited for the vapor cleared out until I moved to check if it worked.