20. Embermane

Nothing but the sound of the radio and the car's engine can be heard as we travel through the road from Colorado to Nevada. It's almost one in the morning and we are the only car in sight. Just this lonely damn black jeep that contains two vampires and one unconscious witch. Nothing weird about that at all. It's been almost an hour that thing happened with Idris and that is the only thing running through my mind. It's replaying over and over again and it sucks because I can't focus on the road. And this damn prick keeps smirking.

"Honestly, doesn't your face get tired of smirking?" I asked, which only made him smirk wider. "Never mind. I think your face is just stuck like that because you do it so much."

The vampire groaned and leaned his seat back. We have no choice but to use the car since we carry a body with us, which hopefully will not wake up until tomorrow night. I hope Drew's magic works. Drew's magic. I can't believe it's all true. As much as I hate to separate with Drew and Lysander again, it's better if she can master whatever magic she has. That will be really helpful when it comes to fighting witches.

"I am awfully bored." Complains the prince. "I might just jump off this car, then go to that building," He pointed at a tall building we passed. "and then jump, all for fun."

"Okay Sherlock." I turned down the volume of the radio. "How about... We play a game? An ice breaker game." Idris turned his head towards me. "Two Lies, One Truth. We each take turn saying one fact about ourselves and two lies. The other has to guess which one is the true statement. I'll go first." I thought back to my high school years. "I used to own a lizard, I used to have a crush on a teacher, I was voted best dressed for boys in 12th grade."

"Definitely the last one is a lie." I removed one hand on the wheel and used that hand to flip him off, right in front of his face. He grabbed my hand and laughed. "How about the second one as the truth? It sounds quite a bit like you to fancy a professor. From what I heard from young humans, there is at least one teacher that every student finds attractive."

I grinned. That isn't false. My biology professor in college was quite a looker, I almost wanted to fail the class just so I can have him as a teacher again. Unfortunately, I received an A. It wasn't exactly a crush, I just thought he was rather good looking. "Wrong. The first one is the truth. I had a lizard when I was like 10. I named him Smaug."

"And what happened to that poor lizard?"

"We don't speak of him." I nudged him with my elbow. "Your turn."

The vampire hummed as he thought of what to say. I hadn't realized where my right hand was until I felt cold fingers tapping on my knuckles. "I met Elvis Presley. I went to a human high school. I can play the piano."

They all sound like lies to me. The last one is the most that is most likely true though. "Meeting Elvis is a lie for sure. There's no way you - "

"He was quite handsome in person." He grinned. "Amazing voice! Eleanor had dragged me to one of his shows and we met the musician. He found Eleanor rather charming and attempted to court her, but she declined." Why would anyone.

"Fine. The second one is a lie."

"It is not."

"Bullshit."

"Language." A cold thumb ran over my palm. "It is true, I went to one of your human schools a long time ago. Rhea, Silas, and myself were in a high school in Pennsylvania in the 80's. That's where we met Nico."

I couldn't help but laugh at that. I'm imagining the vampires in high school. Silas, no doubt, would have been with the jocks. Rhea would have been with the preps and cheerleaders. Nico, I'm not sure, though he could very much be a nerd like I was. Idris, on the other hand.... Definitely one of the popular kids. And I am sure everyone had a crush on him. Women and Men. Students, even teachers maybe. But in the 80's! "Don't tell me you wore your favorite outfit." I eyed his all black suit and tie. "It was in the 80's! Surely you must have had some colors! And the hair! The big hair!"