18 | Road to Recovery

———
Eighteen | Road to Recovery

Characters: Joshua Ayaki, Natsumi "Nasu Hoshinorion" Hyuga (mentions), Mimmy Sakurada (mentions), Erissa Toudou, Shinigami Toudou (mentions), Satella Yasaki, Satori "Satou" Yasaki, Blythe Yuuki, Guren Yuuki

Ships: (brief) SatoRissa

Summary: Guren and Satori face the cruel world they live in as they try to see past their mistakes.

here we gooo recovery chapterrrr
———

Guren never expected to have a back injury so bad it made him immobile. Satori never expected to lose control of his curse so bad that it made him mute.

Nothing was expected in dangerous lines of work, but yet, the unexpected always seemed cruel.

Cruel in ways that could haunt you for the rest of your life.

After the fight with Shinigami, it had been determined that Satori wasn't permanently mute, but would stay mute for a long time.

Which of course broke his girlfriend's heart.

Guren on the other hand, his immobility was permanent. He would never be able to walk again.

His hair was cut off and had to deal with short hair, which he thought didn't fit him.

When Guren first found out he wouldn't be able to walk ever again, he looked over in Satori's direction. At that time, he didn't know Satori was mute.

Guren felt angry. He regretted taking Satori's request to go on the mission to actually attempt to defeat Shinigami. But, he couldn't blame Satori, Guren agreed to the invitation.

Guren opened his mouth to speak to the man in front of him, but slowly closed it. He waited for Satori to say something, but nothing came out of his mouth.

"Have anything to say?" Guren asked, breaking the silence between the two. Satori shook his head and put his hand on Guren's shoulder as an attempt to comfort his best friend.

"Nothing? No apology?"

Satori gave Guren a confused look. Guren didn't quite see it that way and took it as a sign that Satori was ignoring him.

"Ignoring your best friend, huh?" Satori was taken aback by Guren's words and slowly backed away from Guren, who was in a wheelchair.

Satori shook his head, but Guren rolled his eyes. "Then speak," Guren said in a harsh tone, causing Satori to flinch.

Satori opened his mouth and mouthed words. Guren sighed. "Excuse me?" Guren asked, not understanding why Satori wasn't speaking to him.

Satori met Guren's gaze and smiled slightly. Guren raised an eyebrow.

"I can't speak," Satori mouthed, no sound coming out of his mouth.

The look Guren gave him signaled Satori that he didn't understand what he was mouthing. "I can't speak," Satori repeated.

"You can't speak?" Guren asked, seeming to understand. Satori nodded.

"Are you.. mute?"

Satori nodded rapidly. Guren stared at his best friend's glassy eyes and sighed. "Sorry for accusing you of ignoring me. You alright?"

Satori shook his head. Guren smiled. "I'm not alright either, but we'll get through this, Satou."

Satori nodded. The two knew that the road to recovery wouldn't be easy.