Chapter 25

{Damon's POV}

It seemed like hours before we finally got back to the hospital. We picked up balloons and a few teddy bears with the words 'Get well soon' on them at the gift shop.

When I walked into Skylar's room -finally- I saw a man with short greying hair. Skylar dad. He looked up from his book and have me a death glare.

"Mr. Greene." I greeted, extending my hand toward him.

He grunted. "Damon Ryder. I've heard a lot about you."

"All good things, I hope?" I joked.

I don't know why I did it. Maybe to lighten the mood. Maybe to soften him up. It didn't work so it didn't surprise me when he said,

"Not quite." He gestured toward my parents, Melanie, and Jake. "Could you all please give us a minute?"

"Absolutely." My mother agreed. "Come on, let's go eat."

As everyone walked out the door, he patted the seat beside him. "Sit."

I nod as I sit down beside him. "Sir, before you say anything, I just want you to know that I love your daughter. With all of my heart. I've never felt this strongly for anyone before. Yes, I knew that if I started with her something would happen. No, I didn't know what it would be. I'm sorry. I should have let her be and she wouldn't be going through this mess. I hate myself for it. I understand if you want me to stay away from her..." I trailed off not wanting to finish. "I will if that's what you want. Or even if that's what she wants. But Chelsea is in jail now. Nothing bad will ever happen to her again. I mean that sincerely."

I looked up into Mr. Greene's eyes, trying so hard to figure out what's going through his head.

Finally he sighs. "Damon, I understand. I do. I don't blame you or Skylar for this. I do know that Skylar had good judgement. And if I didn't believe that I would ask you to never see her again. But, I'm not going to say that. Who am I to keep you and Skylar apart? If she truly wants to be, she would find a way... If she wakes up."

To say I was shocked, would be an understatement. He wouldn't keep us away from each other? Even after all this? But he said what we all feared. 'If she wakes up'.

{Melanie's POV}

I sat down beside Jake in the hospital cafeteria. Mom and dad were getting their food and we weren't exactly hungry. I couldn't read his expression. His hands were balled up on his thighs.

I reached over and put my hands onto his.

I felt the electricity and sparks that I've always read in the books I read. I never believed it to be real. It shocked me considering I don't even know him, but what shocked me more, is that he felt them too. I know this because his eyes went wide as he pulled his hand away from mine.

"I'm sorry," I apologized.

He reaches toward me and grabs my hand. "Don't be sorry. I just didn't expect how cold your hands would be." He laughed.

My face fell. Maybe I just imagined it. My hands are pretty cold, I guess.

"Thank you. For being here, and for being Skylar's best friend." He rubbed my hand slightly.

I nod. "Of course."

My parents walk back over with their food and four more plates.

"Let's head back up. Damon and Mr. Greene need to eat as well." My dad says to us.

The doctor was in the room when we got back. Mr. Greene and Damon were standing up talking to him.

"There is no improvement. She could be like this for years and there is no telling if she will recover, she may never fully recover, she may lose her memory, she wouldn't remember who any of you are, and that's if she doesn't die." He puts his hand onto Mr. Greene's shoulder. "The choice is yours."

He stood silently for a second, nodded, then walked out of the room. Jake looked over toward his dad.

"We have to say our goodbyes, Jake. The doctor highly doubts she will live through this." He sat down and started crying.

I felt the tears flowing down my cheek. I didn't know what to say, or what to do. Jake turned toward me and grabbed my shoulder, pulling me toward him. He leaned down and cried into my shoulder. I rubbed his back in comforting circles.

But, were they comforting? We were about to tell Skylar goodbye. And we have to pull the plug.

I'm going to lose my best friend.

AN Hi! Sorry it's been a minute. But, here's the next chapter!!! Here's my reason to being late (I know that I always have an excuse, bleh, bleh.) Yes well at least they are good enough reasons! So my house was robbed and I couldn't pay my rent so we've been moving! My mom is letting us stay with her so I'm back! At least it wasn't so long this time 😘😘😘