Chapter 26

{Damon's POV}

Melanie sits down beside Skylar and starts to speak. Everyone is trying so hard to not eavesdrop, but it's incredibly hard in such a small place.

"Sky, I love you so much. I don't know what I'm going to do without my best friend. Even after all of this.. Shit that we've been through. You forgave me and acted as if I weren't a total bitch to you. I don't wanna lose you." She cries. "I'm so sorry, Skylar."

She stands up and walks out the room. I wanted to go check on her but how could I just leave without saying my goodbyes. Melanie would hate herself if I did that.

Mr. Greene takes the spot that Melanie was in moments ago.

"I love you, baby girl. I wish we had another choice." He kisses her forehead softly before moving away from her.

Jake hugs his dad before taking the seat beside Skylar. "I'm sorry for not being here. I was so stupid to break into the pool gates. I could have been here for you. I'm a failure as a brother. I love you, Sky."

I stand up and hug Jake. As hard as this is for me, she is his sister.

"I'm going to go check up on Melanie." Jake nodded toward the door. "I can't be here when they pull the plug."

Dad rubs her forehead and mom kisses her cheek. They didn't say anything but they meant well.

I'm up. But what could I say? I don't want to tell her goodbye. I can't. I don't want to lose her. It's too soon. We haven't had enough time.

I sit down beside her.

I take a deep breath in and then let it out.

"Skylar... I'm usually good at saying goodbye to people.. I don't want to say goodbye to you. You are my heart and soul. I can't live without you. If you die... A part of me dies with you. I will never love someone as much as I love you... I need to be serious, Sky. I'm so very sorry for letting this happen. We should have stayed away from each other. I take full responsibility for what happen. I didn't know she would take it this far and I hate her for that. I don't know what to do. This must be Gods way of punishing me. Please wake up. I love you so much."

I kiss her hand, then her cheek, and lastly, her lips.

I sit there for a few moments more since everyone had said goodbye. I place my hands on top of hers. "I love you, Sky." I whisper as I close my fingers around her hand. And that's when it happen, her fingers closed around my hand.

I look up at the most beautiful face in this world. She slowly lifts her eyelids and blinks a few times.

"Damon?"

{Melanie's POV}

Soon, after I walk out, Jake walks out of the room. He looks both ways before landing his eyes on me. He gave me a weak smile.

"Hey." He says as he sits on the floor beside me.

"Hey."

"You okay?" He asks softly.

I shake my head. "Who cares. How are you holding up?"

"I can't be in there when they do it. I don't want to kill my sister." He whispers.

"Jake, no. You aren't killing her. This isn't your fault. We are doing what's best." I soothe, even though I wish we could give her a longer chance to wake up.

I pull him into a hug. My heart speeds up as he wraps his arms around me. That's when I remember his girlfriend. I shake my head. Its not like I like him or anything so who cares?

We sit and talk for awhile until the door slams open and Damon runs down the hall toward the desk.

She's dead... I think to myself.

We both look at each other.

"I can't go in there." He whispers. He was thinking the same thing.

I nod. "Okay."

He stands up. "Do you wanna get something to drink or something?"

"Sure." I agree.

He smiles, as he stands up and reaches for my hand.

I grab it and he pulls me up. "Ready?"

I smile and nod.

***

We headed downtown when we left the hospital. Jake grabbed a milkshake and me a Frapé. A soda would've been fine, but whatever. Now, we were sitting at a table outside. The wind was blowing through my hair.

"I'm really sorry about Skylar." I apologize to Jake.

His smile fades as I bring it back up. "She's dead, Melanie. Can we not talk about it?"

I flinch but, quickly recover. He's upset. Of course he is. Skylar is dead. I don't know how that is for him, but she was my best friend. I understand the pain he must be feeling.

"I'm leaving." I told him. "I'm going to go stay with my aunt and uncle for awhile."

He looks over at me. "What?"

"I'm sorry. It's just... It's hard knowing that this is somewhat my fault. I didn't want to lose her and I selfishly put her into danger." I say as a tear slowly falls down my cheek.

He reaches over and wipes the tears away. "I understand."

I take a deep breath in then let it out. "I would like to stay in contact."

"Sure." He agrees.

"They should be here soon." I tell him.

We talk for another ten minutes until I see my aunt's car pull up. I stand up and give him a hug.

"I'll see you soon, Jake." And then I left.

{Skylar's POV}

"Damon?"

He jumps up from his chair and runs out the door. I look over and see my dad and Damon's parents.

"Daddy?" Either I'm dead, or I'm dreaming. It's been awhile since I've seen him.

"Hey, sweet pea." He says as he stands up.

I smile up at him. A flashback of Chelsea crosses my mind and I sit up, looking around.

"What happen? Last thing I remember..." I pause, remembering the incident.

"Damon, Melanie, and Jake helped the police find you." My dad tells me.

The nurses come in behind Damon, who is basically jumping with joy. I flinch at the sight of him. I don't know if I should blame him. I wanted this, too. But, was it really worth what happen?

Honestly, I don't think so.

The nurses did more tests and vitals. Everything seemed normal to them. Once they walk out, I tell them what happened when Chelsea's people kidnapped me.

"I'm so sorry." Damon apologizes, as he sits down beside me and lays his head down on my legs.

I rub his hair. "Please, don't worry about it. It's fine. We'll get past it somehow." I lie.