Chapter 12

They say love is patient, but rushed and sloppy all at the same time. Doesn't that just make it a normal speed?

---------------

"How have you already started the individual essay? I was planning on waiting until at least two days before it's due." Jonathan feels comfortable as he walks with Evan to his house so they can work. The boy is actually excited to see Evan's house, since he doesn't really talk about his home life a lot.

Evan shrugs. "Well, you weren't there, and there was no way in hell I was going to attempt to write more of the poems, so I started it. It's really crappy, but whatever, it's fine."

"You say that a lot." It comes out of the boy's mouth before he can think it through, yet after talking with Evan for at least a couple of weeks now, he doesn't worry too much on it.

"Say what a lot?" Evan plays it cool, trying to make it seem like he had nothing to hide.

"You always say 'it's fine' or 'I'm fine', why is that? There's nothing wrong with it, I just wanna know." Jonathan doesn't want to pry too much into Evan's life, since they weren't the closest of friends, they were just English partners who most likely wouldn't keep in touch after all of this.

Once again, Evan shrugs in response. "I want people to know that they didn't offend me or something. It's kinda like people using certain words all the time, you know, people who also say 'like' and stuff, you know? Ugh, I probably sound so stupid right now." Evan laughs at himself, hoping it was convincing. He didn't even want Tyler to know about his insecurities, he definitely didn't want Jonathan to know.

"No, you don't sound stupid at all, I get it. You just don't want to worry people, right? I understand, I would do the same thing." He smiled, and Evan couldn't help but smile back, hands shoved into the large pocket of his hoodie.

"Do I look like the type of person who wouldn't be okay? Is there something about me that's worrying?" Evan scolds himself for asking these questions, but he can't help it as his eyes meet Jonathan's, which are so blue and caring, he can't help but trust them. He tears his gaze away, now looking at the ground. "That was a stupid question, I'm sorry."

There is so much Jonathan wants to say in response, but their friendship isn't stable enough for him to say it all. "There's nothing about you, Evan. You just have a lot of people in your life who care about you." He smiles, but Evan stays looking at the ground.

"Pfft, yeah right." Evan speaks under his breath, too quiet for the boy besides him to hear.

"What was that?" The boy asks as they reach a crosswalk.

Evan looks up, running a hand through his hair as he smiles. "I said 'yeah, you're right.'" They cross the street in silence, and Evan directs them across the street again, reaching a line of somewhat large houses. After a few more minutes, Evan fishes some keys out of his pockets. "We're here."

"Nice house." Jonathan is admiring the architecture while Evan unlocks the door.

"M-my parents aren't home, but don't worry they usually aren't." Evan mentally kicked himself for having that damned stutter in his voice. "N-not that I'm going to do anything, I just, I'm fucking stupid, I'm sorry." Evan pushes open the door, letting them both inside.

"You're not stupid, Evan. I know what you're saying, it's all good." If there is anything Jonathan has learned from hanging out with Evan because of the project, it's that he needs a lot of reassurance. He most likely deals with a lot of stress that causes him to put himself down, but Jonathan brushes it off, knowing that it would only worry the boy more if he knew that Jonathan knew. So, instead, he provided him the reassurance he needed.

"I'm being really annoying, though, I'm sorry. The guys- they're just really annoying sometimes. Let's just, let's just do our project, yeah? It's fine, I'm fine." Evan yawns as he leads his English partner up the stairs, going into his room. "It's kind of messy, just don't worry about it."

Jonathan holds his tongue as he settles himself on the ground, taking the pillow that Evan tosses at him. A few minutes later, they are both comfortably settled in Evan's room.

Suddenly, Evan's phone goes off, startling them both.

Tyler: ev wyd

Evan: I'm working on the project with Jonathan

Tyler: so you're on a date then?

Evan: no we're working

Tyler: don't forget the bet Evan

Evan: wtf do u want Tyler

Tyler: I wanted to know if you wanted to play some games, but you're busy with your date so

Evan: for the last time it's not a date so stfu I'm not getting on to play rn

Tyler: use protection

Evan: go choke on Craig's dick, Tyler

Tyler: someone's salty

Evan groaned before locking his phone and tossing it up onto his bed.

"Your friends?" Jonathan asks, one of his headphones taken out of his ear. Evan looked upset, and he just wanted to help, but he didn't how to.

Evan nods. "Yeah, they're just, it's mostly Tyler, but fuck, I just hate them sometimes."

"Then why are they your friends?" Jonathan asks, trying to help his upset English partner, he was aching to call him his friend.

"Because no one else is going to put up with my shit, even though they barely do as it is." Evan's bitter without meaning to, laptop on the ground next to him with his knees pulled up to his chest.

Taking out his other headphone, as well as softly placing his laptop next to him, Jonathan hesitantly gets closer to him. "Isn't that what friends are supposed to do? Deal with your shit?"

Evan looks up at him, their eyes meeting again. "Are they?" When Jonathan nods, Evan looks away. "All we do is make fun of each other and hang out, we don't really help out one another. But, they're my friends, they're great, I love them. They're family, family is supposed to annoy you sometimes, right?"

Jonathan nods, unable to find the words to make the boy feel okay. "Something like that." He eventually choked out.

Evan nods, uncertainty in his gaze as he looks away from his English partner. The moment the two had shared lingered for a few minutes before they each returned to what they were doing.

"Hey, Jon?" Evan tests out the nickname carefully, his voice cautious, yet it was masked by his questioning tone.

Jonathan hums to alert Evan that he had heard him, yet his eyes stayed glued to the screen of his laptop as his hands flew over the keyboard to quickly type a few more words.

"We're-we're friends, right?"

"Of course."