Chapter 29

"Don't forget to work on your projects over the break! I expect great things from you all at the end of the year!" The English teacher smiles as the students begin to gather their belongings, forcing them into their bags with enthusiasm as they counted down the hours until the end of the day.

It had been about a month and a half since Evan and Jonathan had started dating, two months since Tyler had proposed the bet, and for once, Evan could say he was actually in a good, happy place. Whispers still followed him and his boyfriend down the hall, but he brushed them off, not that they were bad, he just preferred not to listen to other people's opinions for once.

"Aw, did you see Evan and Jonathan? They're so cute! I wonder what Jonathan did to melt Evan's cold heart."

"Poor guy, just gonna end up another name on Evan's list."

"Did you see the way Evan looked at him? Ugh, I want someone to look at me like that someday."

It still bothered Evan when he thought about what had made Jonathan change his mind so quickly. Maybe Luke had been behind the texts, but Jonathan must have played a part in it as well, right? He shouldn't be thinking about it, he should be enjoying the moments he's being gifted, the opportunities that have been presented to him.

Jonathan likes him, he's dating him, that should be enough. That's all he's ever wanted, he should be happy. This should be enough.

Why wasn't it enough?

----

You ever get that feeling, you know the one, where everything in your life is perfectly aligned, but it's still not enough, something still feels off. That feeling, you know it, you have to know it. You look around you, and everything seems perfect. You smile, but inside you know something is wrong. There is something in the back of your head that is telling you, reminding you about this one imperfection that could be happening.

To put yourself in my shoes, imagine having a life that is falling apart in your head and perfect on the outside. Now imagine all of those internal imperfections lined up against a wall, only you can see them, and once they're lined up, look back at your perfect world, then watch as an imperfection steps forward, smiling at you with an innocent, sinister smile. It wants to ruin you, it wants to break you down and show everyone the real you. That's how it feels. That's how it feels.

--------

Connected hands sway with the couple's movements as they talk amongst themselves behind the group of boys. They had joined the conversation earlier but as they drew closer and closer to Craig's house, they broke off to talk to each other. Jonathan trying to take Evan's mind off of his worries about Craig's parents, who of course were home the first weekend of winter break.

"Evan." Jonathan said as Evan drifted off into the land of his thoughts. He snaps back at the mention of his name, turning to his boyfriend only to be met with a kiss, which he quickly returns and they pull away after a couple of seconds. "That's all." Jonathan smiles. Evan does the same, reminding himself that he's supposed to be happy. He has to play the part if he's going to keep it. Evan squeezed his boyfriend's hand for reassurance as they reach Craig's house.

"We're home." Craig calls out as the group enters, walking into the living in order to get to the stairs. Craig's parents look up at the boys from where they were lounging on the couch, cuddled in one another's arms while a movie played on the TV screen. Their eyes narrowed in on Evan and Jonathan.

"Who's this?" Evan forced himself to keep Craig's mom steady gaze as he held up their interlocked hands.

"This is my boyfriend, Jonathan. Nice to see you again, Mrs. Thompson." He flashed her a friendly smile as he followed his friends up the stairs, Jonathan pressed a kiss to his cheek.

"Told you it wasn't so bad." Jonathan whispers so only Evan can hear, their lips meet briefly as they walk into Craig's bedroom. Their eyes lock onto each other, exchanging a smile as they unlock their hands.

----

Evan's head rests on Jonathan's shoulder, fast asleep with his arms wrapped around his boyfriend's torso. They were cuddled up on a bean bag that Craig had in his room. Jonathan is watching as the rest of the friends play video games, completely fine with not playing.

The door opens, Jonathan's eyes fly up to Craig's mother who peeks her head in, carrying two bowls of popcorn. "Hey boys, just wanted to bring you some snacks and let you know that we're going to bed now." She smiles, and Jonathan acts relaxed as her eyes sweep over to him and Evan, her eyes show no emotions about it. Marcel and Brock take the bowls of popcorn,
Jonathan presses a kiss to the top of Evan's head. The door closes.

"You like him, right? You're not faking him out?" Tyler says, his eyes glued to the screen as he asks his question to Jonathan.

"Why would I be faking him out?"

The sounds of the video games they were playing filled the silence of the room. Fingers pressing the buttons on the controller as Tyler mulled over his response.

"Because no one like you would ever date a fuckboy like him."