Chapter 45

It had been an hour since the boys had listened to the CD, and they hadn't spoken, just sat in silence on the floor. Jonathan had begun to cry, and soon everyone followed suit.

If they had been better friends they would've seen something was wrong, they could've helped him sooner. Now they didn't know where Evan was, but they knew what happened to him, they knew what Tyler did. How could a person do something like that to someone else? How could Tyler do that to his best friend? To someone who trusted him above everyone else.

"Fuck," Craig spoke up, "fuck, fuck, fuck. Guys, what do we do now?" Jonathan's phone went off, and he went check it with shaky hands before bursting into tears again. "Jon? What's wrong? What happened?"

"Luke said that Evan's in the hospital, he's stable, Tyler isn't there." Jonathan spoke through his tears, happy that Evan was safe but sad that he must feel like absolute shit.

"Jon, you should go see Evan, I'm sure he wants to see you. No one's gonna stop you this time, you go to the hospital and we'll go to the police station. We are going to report this son of a bitch tonight. Brian, grab that disc." Craig said, standing up on weak legs, causing him to stumble. Everyone else slowly did the same.

Below them, the front door opens, breath hitching in all of their throats as they wait in silence. Countless thoughts run through their minds as they listen to quiet footsteps and the closing of the door.

"Evan? Sweetie? You still up?" There's a collective exhale before panicked looks were exchanged.

What the hell do they tell Evan's mom?

---------

It was a quiet ride to the hospital, the radio had not even been turned on to mask it, they rode in silence. Dried tears stained the boys' cheeks while Evan's mother drove with a blank stare ahead, trying to make sense of all that had happened when she was gone.

The boys had no choice but to have her listen to the CD, she barely made it through, as soon as Evan had begun to cry so did she. Her loud sobs also moved the boys to tears as they realized how stupid they had been.

Brock felt bad because he had pushed Evan to hang out with Tyler at the party, no matter what way he looked at it, he kept thinking it was solely his fault.

Craig thought back to that first party they had accompanied Evan to, thought of what had happened to his friend's drink. Tyler had been right next to him, yet Craig was the one to say something as he was walking past.

That had been Tyler's first attempt.

That night had been his second, successful attempt.

Tonight had been a third attempt, and he dreaded the thought of it being successful.

"Do we text him?" It was clear that he was referring to Tyler, who for all they knew could be sitting in the hospital waiting room without a clue in the world that the boys knew. Jonathan couldn't bare the thought of what Tyler had done to Evan, to Jonathan's Evan. Couldn't imagine how he horrible he had made the teen felt to have taken away his gorgeous smile, his unique personality. How horrible it must have felt for Evan to have his whole personality shatter in just one night.

"Why should we? We already have all the proof we need. Besides, he'll end up at the station pretty soon, anyway. There's no point." Brock said, staring at his lap with a guilty expression. Jonathan tilted his head as he saw exactly how guilty Brock looked. What could he have possibly done to Evan to further guide him to the point they were all at? It couldn't be any worse than the role Jonathan has played. Looking back, this whole problem really started with him.

Was it his fault? Perhaps it was, Jonathan couldn't help but scold himself over and over and over again for not pursuing Evan the way his head had been telling him to. If he had known that the day before would be the last time he saw Evan's perfect smile, the last time he heard his contagious laughter, the last time he would see Evan as his Evan, he would've ran so hard his lungs would've given out. He would've ran until the boy was in his arms, never letting him go again because even if he hurt him, he would never want to shatter him. Even if the teen fought against him, Jonathan would've held onto him, protecting him from the horrible things the universe wanted to do to him.

But, that's not what he did, was it? No, he let the boy go, the boy he loved and who he wanted to hold and kiss until everything was alright again, he let that boy go. Jonathan let him walk away from what the two had, forced the boy to walk away from feelings that Jonathan knew he had.

He didn't give a fuck about that bet, because he knew that Evan only used that as motivation to talk to him. Evan didn't have to let a friendship build first, he didn't have to be so slow with him, he could've finished that bet sooner and they both knew it. Despite whatever personal things Evan was going through, he could've looked past that and done what Tyler wanted him to do, even if he hurt himself.

Even if he destroyed himself.

Instead, someone else did that for him. Jonathan remembered holding onto Evan's shaking form, feeling scared himself since he had never expected to be in a situation like that. How close the two were in that closet, the broken sounds of Evan's breathing as he held in his cries, only a few tears slipping out while his head was buried in Jonathan's chest. It was all so obvious, Jonathan had realized. Evan definitely liked him, he had practically been screaming his feelings ever since they had first hung out in English class.

Evan was only honest when it came to Jonathan, that's how they ended up holding each other in that closet. Because he was so nervous and scared and stressed out solely because of the fact that he was in a small, dark room in a house that wasn't his with a boy who he wanted to be his.

When their lips connected, Jonathan didn't know what to do, at first, he hadn't given his feelings much thought until that exact second. He was caught off guard, the only thing he knew was that Evan was definitely kissing him, and he was definitely enjoying it. That was why he kissed back, because he enjoyed it, enjoyed the feeling of Evan's hands running through his hair, of his lips moving against his in-sync. Enjoyed the way Evan was so gentle, as if Jonathan had been the one who had previously freaking out.

That was something he had never really understood about Evan, how he hide everything so well. How everything he did seemed so timed and well-thought out even though Jonathan knew that wasn't the case. Throughout the duration of his relationship with Evan, that was one answer he had never got, how he hid everything that was wrong with him, how he twisted his image so much that he was almost a completely different person around his friends, around other people. How he could go from this shy, self-deprecating, anxious teen to a complete and utter fuckboy.

It didn't matter, Jonathan still loved him.

That's when it really dawned on him.

He was in love with Evan.