Chapter 47

Thank you guys so much for all the support on this book and all of my others, I really appreciate it <3 (btw this isn't the last chapter)

--------

"What the hell are you talking about? I didn't do anything to Evan!" Tyler shouted as he was dragged out of his house, his hands cuffed behind his back and his heart pounding against his chest. He struggled against the grip of the two officers that held him down.

"You have the right to remain silent, anything you say will be held against you in a court of law. I advise you to not say anything until you can get a lawyer, Mr. Wilde." The officer who opened the door for him said as the other two shoved him inside.

"You don't have any proof, you bastards! Let me go, I'm innocent until proven guilty! I know my rights! You have no proof." He screams through the mesh that prevents him from choking the officer who settled into the driver seat. They chuckle bitterly as they glance into the backseat, looking at the teen.

"All the proof we need is in your friend's suicide note, Tyler. Not only is there a written statement, there's an audio file as well. Your friends seemed pretty torn up, especially after finding your friend....." The engine roars to life while Tyler sits in the backseat, stunned into silence.

"Evan....he....he's gone?" The officer didn't deny it. Tyler shakes his head. "No, no I just saw him a few hours ago, at the party."

"Party? And what did you two do at that party? Your friends didn't mention the party, but I'm sure things have changed since I left the station." The officer jumped at the chance for Tyler to incriminate himself.

Tyler leans back into the seat uncomfortably, his cuffed hands digging into his back, applying pressure to his spine. "I'm fucked, aren't I?"

The officer simply nods, no further explanation really needed after the incrimination Tyler had just done to himself, as if Evan's note and CD hadn't done enough.

----

The room is dimly lit. A cheaply cushioned plastic chair had been dragged to the side of the bed, where a boy sat. His elbows resting on the edge of the bed, millimeters away from a bandaged arm that was attached to a barely breathing body. His head rested in the palms of his hands as he watched the unusually slow rise and fall of Evan's chest.

Jonathan wondered what he thought right before he fell into the water, what his last thought had been before his mind shut off and his body floated to the surface.

"I love you, Evan." Jonathan whispers, Evan's chest falls as he lets out a silent exhale. "Please, come back to me." His tear-filled blue eyes lock onto the bandages wrapped tightly around the boy's arm. He couldn't have imagine how horrible Evan must have felt in order to do such terrible things to himself. "They're gonna get Tyler, he's gonna get what he deserves. Don't leave me, Ev, please don't leave me." Slowly, he reaches for the boy's hand, grasping it and holding it close to him, placing it over where his heart was. "You feel that?" He refers to his heartbeat, which is going at a rate that is certainly above average. "That's how you make me feel, Ev, please....please keep making me feel that way.....please don't leave." A few tears slip from his eyes, landing onto Evan's bandages. "Please don't leave me."

In the midst of his crying, he drops Evan's hand, letting it hang limply off the bed.

-------

Soon, the cold was replaced with numbness, the only thing that filled his senses was darkness. It surrounded him, engulfed him, held him, it was everything that existed in the world he was unfamiliar with. A few whispered words echoed in the darkness, but no matter what way he turned his head, he could never tell where they had come from. Where they were going, where they had went once they disappeared.

There was no light at the end of his tunnel.

-------

As Tyler was dragged into the station, still resisting against the officers, he passes by a row of occupied plastic chairs. Calmly, the five boys looked up from the floor, their bloodshot eyes staring emotionlessly at the boy who had once been their friend. They watch the boy struggle, no remorse in their eyes or their hearts, only anger and hatred, yet they give away nothing.

Tyler's scared, hopeless eyes stare into every one of theirs, and he gulps as he finds no sympathy in their blinking, unfazed stares.

Monsters don't get sympathy.