Chapter 25

Friendly reminder that I have published book three of the TextMate series in case no one knew

-----------

"You're wrong, Luke." Jonathan whispers into the phone, keeping a wary eye on Evan, who was sleeping in his bed, a frown etched into his features. "Evan isn't like that."

"Yes, he is, Jonathan. Stop protecting him, you know what he's like too, stop defending his sick actions." Jonathan stands up and slips into the bathroom, not wanting to risk waking the boy up.

"You're wrong, Luke. Evan is nice and caring and an amazing friend-" Jonathan is running out of things to say about him without giving away too much personal information. He didn't want to betray Evan, not after he hurt him.

"He's a dick, why can't you see that?" Luke explodes as a neon bottle catches Jonathan's eyes, and he finds himself unable to stop from completely opening the partially open cabinet as Luke continues to rant in his ear. "He's selfish and sick and sleeps around for his own personal gain. He gets drunk and goes to parties and is so stuck up in his own world of being popular. Honestly, if you didn't have this project with him, he would've never have talked to you, never even knew you existed-are you even listening to me? He's leading you on! He doesn't like you!"

The bottle falls from his hands as he reads the label, hitting the bathroom rug with a shaky thud as he lets out a gasp. "What? What now?" Luke asks from the other side of the phone, still fired up from his hatred of the boy who had shown an interest in his best friend. Jonathan puts a hand over his mouth, realizing the mistakes he had made when listening to Luke. The proof was in the anti-depressants that now lay on the floor.

"You don't even know Evan." Jonathan still defends, regret of giving in to his best friend's suggestions creeps into his thoughts. "He's not who you think he is."

"Fine, don't listen to me then. Go running into his arms and live the lie that he actually likes you. Go get dragged into closets and make out with him on the weekends, and when it crash and burns, I'll be there to tell you I told you so." Luke hangs up the phone, and Jonathan realizes he doesn't know how to fix his mistake.

Because of that, the consequences of his mistakes lay in the loops of a small bathroom rug.

-----

As Evan lets out a yawn, still buried underneath his blankets, he notices that Jonathan is pacing the length of his room besides his bed. "J-Jonathan? What are you doing?" He rubs at his eyes, letting out another yawn. He sits up, bringing the blankets up with him as he tries to blink away the sleep. Jonathan looks at him with a look that reminded Evan of the way he looked at Jonathan.

"Evan, I'm so sorry, about everything. I'm sorry." He rushed over to Evan, cupping his face in his hands. "Those texts, I didn't mean them, it was all Luke's idea, I promise. I'm sorry I listened to him, Evan, please believe me-" Evan gives the boy a gentle push.

"Why should I believe you?" Evan looks away from the hurt expression on the boy's face, becoming overwhelmed with emotions once again. They were threatening to take him over all over again. "I know you're leading me on, Jonathan, okay? You can stop, it's fine, I'm fine." His voice harshens. "I don't need you to lead me on anymore, I can handle knowing you don't like me."

"I'm not, Evan, I'm really not." He sits on Evan's bed, holding his chin in the palm of his right hand, forcing him to look at him. "Please, give me the chance to prove it to you. Give me my second chance, please." Tears had glazed over the surface of Evan's eyes, turning them glossy.

"I don't know if I trust you." Jonathan got closer, their faces centimeters apart. Evan doesn't meet his eyes. "Why should I give you a second chance when you trusted Luke's opinion more than me, after I literally broke down in front of you, yet you chose Luke over me. Why should I choose you now?"

Jonathan pushes Evan against his pillows, forcing their eyes to meet. "I know, Evan, I know you can't trust me, and I know this is a lot to ask of you, but please believe me. I won't hurt you anymore, Evan, I promise." Their faces get closer, Evan glanced between Jonathan's eyes and his lips. "Give me a second chance, Evan, please."

The teen had always been weak when it came to Jonathan.

Evan grabs his face and kisses him, pushing against him so that he ends up on top of him, Jonathan's body pressed up against the blankets, their lips still connected. Once again, Evan was acting on his feelings rather than his instincts. Jonathan's fingers curled into his hair, pulling Evan closer to him somehow, one hand on his lower back.

There's a soft knock at his door, and the two pull away from each other, panting as Evan's mother walks in. "Sweetie, you have school today-" She cuts herself off as she sees the two boys, their faces close together and each of them panting for breath. "Oh, was I interrupting something or-?" Evan, realizing what position he was in, scrambles away from Jonathan, instinct kicking in from when his friends' parents look at him like he's a monster.

"You weren't interrupting anything, you're fine." Evan is quiet, his gaze on the floor as his mom closes the door, giving her son another worried glance before it shuts, and Jonathan sits up and pulls him into a hug.

"Talk to me, Evan." He pets his hair, kissing the top of his head. "You can talk to me, Ev, I know you want to."

"I don't know, I'm just so used to people, specifically parents, looking down on me, no matter what I do." He stares at the floor. "Sometimes, I feel like I can't do anything, because if I do," he gulps. "I'll ruin it. I don't want to ruin things anymore."

Jonathan keeps hugging him, and Evan twists in his arms so that he can pull him into a kiss. "You don't ruin things, Ev, you never do." He mumbles against Evan's lips as they push him back onto the bed, the feelings in the kiss alerting him that Evan wouldn't go farther than kissing. Evan couldn't, wouldn't do that to him, he could steal his first kiss, but he wouldn't do anything more.

"Yeah I do." Evan mumbles back. "I've gone my whole high school career without a boyfriend." He continues to kiss Jonathan, wanting to remember the feeling before it was ripped away from him. Before his whole world crashed when the inevitable happened and he wasn't allowed to do it ever again, before Jonathan left and Evan was alone again. "It's not anyone's fault but mine, though, because I ruined it."

"You didn't," Jonathan kissed him back harder "you didn't ruin it, Evan. Anyone would date you if you let them."

Evan pulled away, staring down into steel blue eyes, streaks of pale green colliding with the intense color in such a way that Evan knew he was falling deeper. Falling faster. "What if I don't want any of them?" His whisper is loud just for Jonathan to hear him, in the back of his head he realizes that they'll be late to school, he also realizes that he doesn't care.

Jonathan looks confused. "Then who do you want?"

Evan is lost in his eyes. "Would you be my boyfriend?" He asks as kisses him again, too lost in his feelings to realize what he had done.

Jonathan kissed back, softer this time. "You didn't even have to ask."

Game on.