Chapter 46

"How is he?" Is the first thing Jonathan says as he exits the car as quickly as he possibly can, running into Luke's arms. His friend had been waiting outside of the hospital, waving quickly to Evan's mother and his friends before leading the boy inside. "Fuck, Luke, just tell me."

"I did, he's stable." Luke presses the button to call the elevator to their floor, sighing while Jonathan looked at him anxiously. "That's all I know. By the way," The elevator arrives, the two get in, "I put you down as his boyfriend so that you're basically family. I hope you don't mind, both of you." Luke looks down as the elevator begins to go up. Silence falls between them, Jonathan on the verge of tears as he realizes that he could've prevented this.

"Tyler is a fucking psycho, you know that?" He laughed bitterly, angrily wiping away the tears that had slipped down his face. He leans back against the elevator wall, the rail digging into his lower back as his hands curled into fists at his side. "You don't even want to know what that sick fuck did to him, Luke, it's bad." He sighs. "Evan was so scared."

Luke pulls him into a hug that Jonathan doesn't return in the slightest, just accepts that Luke is hugging him and that a few more tears slip down his face. "Jon, I'm sorry that I couldn't do anything else, I really am, none of this should be happening." Jonathan realizes that Luke is actually crying. "I should've ran faster, swam faster, I should've-"

"Luke, this isn't your fault, okay? You didn't know, you couldn't have known. You did everything you could, okay? Thank you, you saved him, you saved him. Don't think about all the things you could've done, think about the things that you did do." He still doesn't hug the crying boy, instead leading him out into the hallway while he just stayed glued to him. Rather than asking his friend, who showed no signs of pulling himself away from Jonathan, even though it would've made more sense for Jonathan to be upset. Confused, the two manage to end up in the waiting room.

A doctor walks out of a room just as Jonathan settles Luke into a chair, Jonathan himself unable to sit down as he begins to pace. A man clears his throat as he approaches the pair. "Excuse me, you're here for Evan Fong, correct?" Needless to say, Jonathan's head shoots up, turning to look at the doctor in almost an instant. "I'll take that as a yes, then. You're Jonathan, correct? Jonathan Dennis, Evan's boyfriend?" Wordlessly, Jonathan nods. "You can go in and see him, but I'm not sure how long it'll be until he wakes up."

"I'll wait an eternity if I have to." Jonathan whispers as he follows the doctor to the room he had just walked out of. His heart beat quickly, pounding against his chest he was sure that the doctor could hear it because of how loudly it had begun to roar in his ears. They come to a stop in front of the door. "Whenever you're ready." The doctor said, leaving Jonathan alone to stand in front of Evan's door.

With little hesitation, he went inside.

-------------

Tyler wasn't expecting his cell phone to wake him up of all things, but he still reached for it even if he just wanted to sleep. He hoped that it was Evan, at least, texting him his regrets and asking him to come over since he knew his mother wasn't home. Tyler loved that, he could visit him anytime and it would be just the two of them.

It wasn't Evan, it was Craig, who had called him three times now. No texts, just calls. Tyler tilted his head, confused by the odd occurrence. Nonetheless, he called the boy back.

He answered in seconds. "Tyler?"

"Mm, yeah?

"Are you at home right now?"

"Where else would I be?"

"Good, we're coming over." End call, leaving Tyler even more confused than before. He shrugs, settling back underneath his covers.

Sleeping right through police sirens.