Chapter 17

"Did you have fun today?" Evan and Jonathan are walking back to his house, window shopping as they pass by store after store. Jonathan was sipping on an iced coffee while Evan enjoyed a strawberry smoothie.

"I had a blast! Your friends are so great to hang around." He comments, taking a longer sip.

"We caught them on a good day." Evan smiles at the boy beside him, whose eyes were glued to a window that had a stuffed animal sat atop a desk chair. It was a thrift shop. "You want to go in?" Evan asks.

Wordlessly, Jonathan nods. "Yeah, but I don't have that much money." He begins to walk away, but Evan grabs his wrist and drags him inside.

"Pick something and I'll buy it for you." The teenager lets go once they're inside, gesturing to the whole store to pick something. "I'll be over at the clothes if you need me." Evan walks away to a section full of clothing racks just as Jonathan opens his mouth in protest.

Sighing, he gives in, going up to a worker and asking them how much the plush in the window was. "Ten dollars, would you like me to get it for you?" He asks politely to Jonathan, who nods shyly and follows the worker to the window display.

"Thank you." Jonathan says to the worker with a small nod as he wanders off to find Evan, the stuffed animal tightly secured in his grip, it's face pressed against the teen's chest. "Hey Evan." He greets quietly, tapping on the teen's shoulder.

"Oh, hey, I'm assuming that's from the window display?" Evan smiles as Jonathan nods. "Alright, let's pay then."

---

Evan lets out a shaky breath as he closes the door behind Jonathan, an invisible weight lifting off his shoulders as he leans against the front door, sliding onto the floor. "You made it." He tells himself with reassurance, trying not to nitpick at all the things he could've done wrong in the time span that he was with Jonathan.

After a few minutes of calming himself and convincing himself that everything went fine, he stood up and went to his room, leaving the door open since he was the only one there anyway.

On his desk, his phone buzzed, and he knows he should answer it, but as he falls onto his bed, he realizes how tired he is, his eyes falling shut all by themselves. He lets out a small yawn as his phone buzzes one more time, but instead of reaching for it, he falls asleep.

----

Evan is woken up by loud knocks on the front door. Blinking slowly, he blindly reaches for his phone to check the time. He has several missed calls and text messages, and apparently he had been asleep for a solid five hours.

The knocking is still there, though, and Evan practically falls out of bed as he goes to answer it, trying to rub away the sleep from his eyes.

"Coming!" He calls out as he hurries down the stairs, voice cracking since he had just woken up. Reaching the door in a few moments, he opens it to find his worried friends. "What are you guys doing here?"

Tyler glared at him. "Don't you check your messages, dumbass? We were texting and calling you but you weren't answering."

Evan rolls his eyes as he lets the group of boys in. "I was sleeping, but whatever. What do you want?" He yawns once again, closing the door while his friends made themselves at home in his living room. "And why were you so worried about me?"

"You were pretty quiet all day, so Tyler kept texting and calling. Not to mention that he was also very sure you two were hooking up." Craig paused, turning to Tyler with a smirk. "You owe me fifty bucks by the way."

"What the hell? You actually bet on that-actually never mind that's pretty expected of Tyler." Evan throws himself beside Tyler on the couch with a lazy smile and another yawn, clearly still tired. "That can't be the only reason you came over, though."

"My parents are out of town next weekend, so we're having a sleepover, and you're going to invite Jonathan." Brock grins as Tyler speaks excitedly to Evan, explaining the plans he already had for the group. "He's actually really cool to hang out with, you chose pretty wisely." Tyler gives Evan a quick wink at the end of his sentence.

Evan bites his tongue from objecting, knowing that he's supposed to play along like the player he was. Like the fuckboy he was, that's the only way to live in such luxuries as he had. Without having the constant worry and annoyance of friends, not a single worried glance at his skinny frame since he should be getting plenty of exercise. He had this 'bad boy' standard to live up to, almost. No one is allowed to change their whole personality in high school, especially not during senior year.

"It's so weird to think that Evan is gonna get himself a boyfriend." David thinks aloud, tilting his head while Evan leaned back into the couch further, still tired after being woken up. "Think about that, Evan finally settling down with someone senior year. It's weird."

Evan usually would have a snappy comeback or retort, but he was so comfortable, and so tired, finding himself leaning towards Tyler, his body sliding sideways until he made contact with his friend. Soon after soft snores could be heard coming from the tired teen, and the friends knew better than to wake him up for a second time.

Excitedly the group began to make their plans for the sleepover this coming weekend.