Chapter 30

Gonna be updating a lot more often now that I'm on summer break (and have been for a few days)

---------

Evan wakes up with Jonathan still wrapped in his arms and he nearly begins to cry because he was in that brief moment when you just wake up and nothing seems real then you realize that it is. But, he settles for just kissing the top of his boyfriend's head and admiring how peaceful he looked as he slept. As per usual, Evan is the first one to wake up out of his friends.

As comfortable as he is staying cuddled next to Jonathan, it's not hard for him to realize that he is parched. There's no possible way that he is going to fall asleep again until he gets a glass of water. He debates just waiting there, eliminating the risk of seeing Craig's parents who most likely were up and about by now, remembering that Craig had mentioned his parents were off work for the next few days.

He wished his mom was off work, and there he goes again. Evan is back to thinking about his mom, who never seemed to be home to take care of him. It never bothers him, Evan knew that, he just wished he could get to know his mom a bit more, wish that they could both get to know each a bit more.

Before he falls into a panic attack again, Evan carefully gets up, pushing himself to the door because he needed water. Who cares if he saw Craig's parents? Evan, that's who cared, but he brushed off his worried feelings and very quietly made his way down the stairs.

He padded into the kitchen, knowing where the glasses were and carefully grabbing one, taking it over to the fridge and pouring himself a glass of water. It only takes a few seconds or so to fill his medium-sized glass, and he sits on a stool at the kitchen island as he drinks it, letting his thoughts wander as he quenched his thirst.

His head shoots up as he hears footsteps approaching the kitchen, coming face to face with Craig's mother. Evan continues to sip his water, trying not to worry about anything. She wasn't going to speak to him, he thought to himself, she was just going to get what she needed to get and go back to bed, that was all.

"So," Evan was wrong, his muscles tensing at the sound of her voice, "boyfriend, huh? That's a bit odd for you." It takes everything he has to keep his breathing calm and steady, taking a longer sip of water. The fridge opens behind him as she prepares to speak once again. "How did you manage to get a nice boy like that to date someone like you?"

Evan knows he has to answer her fast, but not too fast, not too slow either. Hesitation isn't an option as he desperately tries to think of an answer. "I was just being myself, Mrs. Thompson, following the most basic advice in the book." He was almost done with his water, soon it would be his time to leave and he could get back to Jonathan and everything would be fine.

"Clearly not, your personality couldn't possibly have been enough." Craig's mother says as Evan finishes off his glass of water.

"That's all I did, good night Mrs. Thompson." Evan places his empty glass in the sink and nods at her before heading upstairs, where he settled back into his previous spot next to Jonathan, who he greeted with a soft kiss pressed against the top of his head. With his head feeling clearer than it had been before he left, Evan brushed off his nerves about the conversation with Craig's mother and fell asleep.

---

"How are you almost done with your essay? We still have a whole semester left, babe." Jonathan said as him and Evan were curled up together on Evan's bed, one of their regular hang out spots during winter break. "I've barely started mine." Evan pulled his boyfriend in for a kiss, unable to get enough of them lately, smiling partway through as the small reminder that Jonathan is his floats into his head.

"I'm writing as the experiences are coming to me, I'll work on consistency later." He mumbled against his boyfriend's lips, his smile still present. "How are your poems coming along?" Evan wants to get off the topic of his essay, which is almost done, but a majority of it is just him voicing all his thoughts and worries about his relationship. Showing the negative side of love that surely no one wanted to ever see.

"They're okay," The two pull away from each other, staring into each other's eyes as they relax against the bed. "No where near as good as yours."

"No, no, yours are way better than mine, babe. You have such a way with words." Evan reaches over and pecks Jonathan's lips, glad that he was in his company. It had been the best winter break he had ever had, and Christmas had been a few days earlier. Evan had received a few gifts and his mother's presence for a couple of days. It was a nice time, but being with Jonathan could top it in a heartbeat. Being with him made all his low moments worth enduring, as long as he was sure that he would see Jonathan when it was all over.

"Jon.....it may be a bit too fast....but, I really think I love you."