Extended Epilogue: Chapter 3

I ripped myself away from Hunter and screamed when I saw them.

I ran straight to the little boy and scooped him up in my arms, "How's my little man doing?" I tapped him on the nose and he giggled.

He was squealing when I held him in one arm so that I could tickle him with my other hand.

"Hi friend. I haven't seen you in months but please do greet my son first." I looked up at Skylar and smiled.

"I think mommy's jealous, isn't she?" I lifted Jackson into the air as he smiled down at me and then passed him back to Paul. Skylar just scoffed and rolled her eyes, but even she couldn't help smile.

I was aware of Hunter and Paul talking and fawning over Jackson when I eventually decided to hug Skylar.

"So it's the day of the big book launch. How are you feeling?"

Once I heard Skylar say those words, the nerves had officially set in. "I'm freaking out, Sky."

I felt my hands shake and my palms get sweaty. And before I knew it, I was rushing off to the bathroom.

Kneeling over the toilet and heaving that morning's breakfast was an awful feeling. I felt someone pull my hair away from my face and rub my back.

"Sweetheart, you okay?" I heard Hunter call from our living room.

"She'll be good in a few minutes!" Skylar called back while I stood up.

While I washed my mouth and drank some water, Skylar went to close the door. She was watching me expectantly while I dried my mouth.

"You that nervous, huh? I wouldn't have asked if I knew that was going to happen." She took a step away from the door and closer to me. Her voice sounding oddly threatening.

I gulped when she stopped right in front of me and glared at me. She was searching my eyes for some kind of answer. There was a knock on the door so Skylar moved to answer it.

"Ivy!" Skylar hugged our best friend so I went to go greet her too.

"You look like shit, Ems." Ivy held me at an arms distance to look over me. "Not the best look for a book launch but if sick author is what you're - "

I rushed back to the toilet, on my knees again and I heard a quiet gasp and high heels clicking against the floor.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know that you were that nervous." Ivy sounded genuinely concerned. "I'm just gonna go get you some pills and water."

I heard Skylar whisper something to Ivy but couldn't make out what she was saying.

When the door opened again to reveal an Ivy carrying everything she had promised, I was supporting myself against the sink.

I took the water and swallowed the pills as Ivy and Skylar shared a few words and watched me closely.

"You're not throwing up because you're nervous are you?" Skylar asked with questioning eyes.

"Well it's the only reason I could think of." I admitted, "It is a big deal and I can't stuff it up."

"But you're also late aren't you?" Ivy asked next.