Chapter 35: The Moment I Knew

Snip. Snip. Snip.

I listen quietly as the scissors snip away at my hair. Kefilwe sighs as she cuts another strand. She was the only one who I felt comfortable having scissors around my neck and face.

I'm glad my hair is finally getting cut. I've looked like this for two days now. No need to keep looking this terrible. It's going to be just below my shoulders, since at that length it will be just close to impossible for a zombie to grab, especially since my hair will be in a tiny ponytail.

That means I won't have to worry about that situation of two days ago for a while.

Although, the situation from two days ago, and yesterday, is most likely to be a one time thing. Travis is gone back to the Ministry, who is searching through all their personnel to make sure no one else is dirty like Amelia. The last thing we need is more people giving out Ministry secrets.

Amelia's gone now too, along with Simon. I should've stopped him. I should have done something to make him stay. Now he's gone off to who-knows-where, while we have only a bit of information about the ship-Laetitia Greenwald.

That explains why the name was italicized. It is actually a good thing, I guess. Now we don't have to worry about a person being dead. That was the biggest worry we had. If Laetitia Greenwald was a person, trying to find her would've been near impossible since... well, zombie apocalypse.

But instead, the Laetitia Greenwald is an inanimate object-one that we sadly don't know the location of. That wasn't something Simon had to give us.

That may have been the last time I'll ever see him again. I don't like that. I don't like thinking that.

I mean, he can't die, so I won't have to worry about Amelia killing him or anything, but I can't see why he would want to come back. Janine said he deserves to be shot, to die. Everyone in Abel hates him besides me. Of course he wouldn't want to stay.

"Runner Five, you do know I'm not a hairstylist, correct?" Kefilwe asks, bringing me back to the present.

I sigh. "Yes, I know. But there are no used-to-be-hairstylists in Abel, and you're the only I trust to handle scissors around my face and neck."

"Well, I'm finished, but don't be surprised when you find it isn't grand."

She hands me a mirror, and I raise my eyebrow at my hair that's now just below my shoulders. Some of it is a bit uneven, but my hair still has its slight curl/wave to it, so it doesn't look half bad. I understand it could be better, but Kefilwe tried, and I don't look terrible, so I think it's okay.

"I like it," I say, standing up. "Thank you."

She nods. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to the hospital."

"Speaking of the hospital, how's Owen?"

"He's fine. He lost quite a bit of blood when Amelia shot him, so he's tired, but I believe he'll make a full recovery. He just won't be running until then."

I nod. "That makes sense."

"You should be more worried about yourself." She frowns, and I raise one shoulder in a half shrug.

"It's only a minor concussion, and you banned me from running for another week."

"I would have told you to rest longer had not Janine told me you are needed now that we have information that the Laetitia Greenwald is a ship."

"Gotta do what ya've gotta do." I grab a broom and start sweeping the hair into the dustpan. "After this, I have to go find Milo. He needs help studying for a test. Hopefully I'll be able to help him since I was just starting the seventh grade when the apocalypse happened."