Chapter 40: Brand New Start

"Hello?" Kefilwe asks meekly. "Hello, can you hear me?"

"Hey, hey, hey," A voice replies in a chipper manner-Runner One. I think his name is Yang. "Kefilwe Kasigo. You know we can hear you. It's groovy. It's great. I've packed up Thirteen's headset just fine."

Runner Thirteen, Cameo, laughs. "You know, One, I only couldn't do it myself because I've always been more of a software girl. If it weren't so privative, I would've been in there so fast."

"We know," Kefilwe says in amusement. "I still can't believe what managed to make out of those three smashed iPhones and that cash register."

"That thing that turns into a radio and then prints Radio Abel snippets even though they're broadcasting from the field? That was you?" He laughs. "Wow. Mind blown."

I hear more footsteps, and I huff and tap my foot impatiently as I stand at the gates. Where the hell are they?

"Runner Eleven, my man!"

I pale slightly. Oh, God.

"Guys, guys, did I miss anything?" Runner Eleven, Kytan, asks. "I'm here. I'm here. I just had to kick Runner Sixteen's ass at table football, and I did, convincingly."

There's a grunt, followed by several laughs.

"We believe you, Kytan," Cameo giggles. "No need to do a backflip."

"Oh, lovely lady, there is always a need for a backflip, like just ending this sentence. Check this out-"

"Oh, wait," Yang says. "Guys, is Andrew not coming with us on this run? I thought it was the Gang of Four; The rockstars out on another awesome mission of adventure and excitement."

We haven't even started this mission and I'm already beginning to regret it.

"No. Sorry, Yang," Kefilwe says. "With Amelia gone, the systems are not quite working so well. Janine is trying to pull things back together, but shifts are disturbed. Now that we've worked out Amelia's codes, we know how to get into contact with the Laetitia Greenwald.

"It's vital we make contact with them. Andrew won't be with you today, but that's okay. All Abel runners are up to the job. I'll be you operator, as usual this time, but your fourth member will be..."

"Me," I say, and I raise a hand to wave at the three figures I see heading my way.

"Oh. Runner Five, you're waiting there already. Yes, you're all very lucky. Runner Five will be with you today."

"Runner Five..." Yang clears his throat awkwardly once he and the others reach me. "Hi. Okay then."

"Right," Cameo says in discomfort, her brown eyes full of disappointment.

"This is not what I was expecting," Kytan grumbles, and I scoff and cross my arms.

"Well, excuse me. Next time I'm asked to go on a mission with you three, I'll just say no."

"There's no need for that," Kefilwe says calmly, and I simply shake my head. It's not exactly like they were my prime pick of who I'd like to go running with, either. They're too... playful. I understand the need to joke and such on a low risk mission, but doing backflips and saying the word 'groovy' isn't exactly my thing.

Although, I honestly don't think saying the word 'groovy' should be anybody's thing.

I have a group that I would prefer to run with, but one of the members is dead, one is off with a criminal, and the one is still being despised because of past deeds.

So instead I'm stuck with these guys.

Great.

"Okay, here we go," Kefilwe says enthusiastically. "We have an important mission today to find the boat that Comansys is hiding on. So, raise the gates... Covering fire. And run."