Chapter 82: I've Got A Dream

"Aren't you tired at all?"

"I'm never tired."

"Then why do you sleep?"

"I think people would get pretty suspicious if they never saw me sleeping."

I hear Sam chuckle over the headset, and I can picture Milo rolling his eyes. He's not supposed to be talking to me. Janine said this is a mission of the upmost importance, and we can't have any distractions, even when we're resting, but Sam's been allowing Milo to sneak in here after everyone else has already gone to bed, just so we can talk for a few minutes each night.

I'm thankful for that. There's only been a few times where I've been out of Abel, and I've missed my kids terrible all of those times. I'm glad I get to talk to Milo, at least, even if I don't get to talk to Penelope since the younger children have been given an earlier bedtime.

"Where are you exactly?"

"Just outside London. We found an old abandoned house and Max and I are using it as shelter tonight, after checking and making sure there were no zoms around, of course."

"Yeah. We have to make sure zombies don't get too close to Abel. Well, I don't, but yeah. Lots of the runners go out everyday to be a distraction, but they don't do it as well as you could."

I laugh. "Thanks. But I'm not all that. The only reason I'm on this mission is because of the fact that immune to mind control."

"Yeah, but that's a good thing. You're the type of person we want on our side and only on our side."

While Milo's words are meant to be a compliment, I flinch.

"So, what gave you been up to since I've been gone?" I ask, eager to change the subject. "You haven't been bothering the runners too much, have you?"

"No, but I have been bothering Sam whenever he's not talking to you."

"Yeah. You and your kid have multiple things in common, one of them being  you never leave me alone," Sam says playfully.

"Oh, shush. You love me," I reply.

"Yeah, but I never said I loved your little hellions."

"Hey!" Milo yells while Sam giggles like a child. I find myself smiling. It's nice, teasing and playing with each other, hearing laughter when everything around is falling apart. It's sort of like... God's way of showing me that there's still good in this chaotic, evil world.

"Anyway, what have you been up to since I've been gone?"

"Nothing too story worthy," Sam replies nonchalantly, but I shake my head.

"No, no, I want to know what my favorite boys have been doing since I left Abel."

"Well, Sam's been helping me and Penelope with homework, but he doesn't like it." Milo lets out a small huff. "I don't get why he hates it so much. I mean, weren't you an engineering student?"

"Yeah, a failing engineering student," He snarkily answers, causing me to giggle. "But yeah, your children have decided that while you're gone I become their caretaker. But don't worry, I've made sure to be a good fill-in-mom. Milo and Penelope are still making good grades and eating their vegetables."

"Good to know," I say, voice laced with amusement as I push myself up against the pillows of the bed I'm in. It's large-a queen size, which is large compared to the twin sized bed I sleep in at Abel, especially since I have it to myself. Maxine took the bed in the room down the hall.

I'd much rather be back at home, with Sam, with Milo and Penelope, even if it means sleeping in a smaller bed. It's so... lonely here.

"Plus we've been doing Bible study."