Chapter 36: Return To The Forbidden Planet

"Shh! Quietly," Sam hisses. "Raise the gates."

The gates raise, but no alarm goes off. I raise a brow curiously, but still run out the gates as per usual. It's been a week and now I'm able to run again. Funny how quickly the time flies. We're already over halfway finished with October. I'll be turning seventeen in just over a month.

"Okay, now listen up, Runner Five. This isn't exactly an official run."

"Not an official run. Heh," Jack laughs. "It's like we're spies. The name's Holden. Jack Holden. The Secretary will deny any knowledge-"

"Jack!" He pauses and lets out a slow breath. "Okay, Five, here's the thing. What with all the chaos since Amelia's left, you're the only runner who's free to go out now, since you're cleared and we don't have to worry about any brain injuries. And we've... hit a bit of a problem."

"Bit of a problem?" Jack says, almost mockingly. "This isn't gonna stop us leavin', is it? We're supposed to be off in a couple of days."

"Well, not if Five gets to them first."

"Gets to who first, Sam?" I question, and the man lets out a slight nervous cough.

"Um, well, this is the situation-you may be aware that the past few weeks, the teenage population has gotten uh, well, a bit restless."

Jack scoffs. "Restless?"

"Fine. Rebellious."

I nod. "I'm aware, seeing that I have a teenager of my own."

He lets out a small noise, one that almost sounds like fear. I frown in confusion. "Uh, y-yeah. Milo... They uh, the teenagers are saying we're not catering to their needs."

"Their... needs?" I repeat.

"Yeah. I mean, God, teenagers can be so pompous-besides you, I mean. I'm pretty sure I was never like that. Well, we might not have been paying attention, what with all the time we're spending trying to find that Comansys ship. You'd think they'd have more sympathy with us trying to find the key thing that could stop the mind controlled zombies and people, but no. They want more clothes and better CDs and computer games and makeup kits a-and pig shaped sweets."

I shrug. "They're kids. They think they know everything and that adults are just trying to boss them around."

"You're a kid and you don't think that," Jack says.

"For one: I was put in training when I was twelve. I could kill you in like, four seconds without a weapon if I wanted to. And two: I'll be seventeen in like, a month."

"Really? Huh, you look a lot younger."

I roll my eyes. "Thanks."

"Anyway," Sam says, bringing us back to the main subject, "Jody was good friends with the teens who were left without parents, and all that stuff they found out about her left them pretty angry and pretty confused. And since Janine said no one under sixteen are allowed to be runners-"

"They've been hangin' around with nothing to do but tell me my music's outdated," Jack pouts, and it earns a laugh from me.

"Right, so when a couple of youngsters asked to look at the control center... well, we thought it would be a good chance for them to understand what we do. Maybe record their impressions. Like, uh, a special feature."

"You said it would help morale."

"You said you were good with kids," He snaps back.

I purse my lips, face beginning to scrunch up. "Why do I have I feeling I know where this is going?"