Chapter 87: Up

I jolt awake at the sound of a fist on wood, then a voice.

"Hey, Five, it's me, Maxine," She says through the door. "Um, Runner Three and uh, the King of England are here, ready to go. You just about done enjoying the palace linens?"

I step out of bed just as the door opens. I throw off my nightgown as Maxine walks inside. She's seen me half naked multiple times. Her being here doesn't bother me. I only flinch when Simon and Jaime step in as I'm putting on my running pants. But neither of them seem to care that I'm well... not decent, so I keep my eyes down and put on my shirt as quickly as possible.

"Chandelier-a bit smashed, brocade curtains-just a tiny bit ripped. Still, a massive garden, a huge larder, a wine cellar, 100 bedrooms-and most of them zom free. Pretty good thing you looked into here, Your Majesty," Simon says those last few words with a sneer. Jaime simply crosses his arms.

"Yeah, I'm not goin' by that."

"Oh no, sir. Of course not, sir."

"Ain't you supposed to be reportin' from your recce?"

"Oh, full report coming up, sir. Situation changed, sir. Report ends, sir."

Jaime nods, annoyed but seemingly not in the mood to push it any further. He looks over at me, his eyes flashing with a mixture of pain and anger, and I wish I knew of a way to say I'm sorry without actually saying it.

He blinks and regains his composure. "Today's the day then, Five. I've hooked us and the roller guards up with headsets. You there, Sam?"

I put on my headset just in time to hear his reply.

"Certainly am, Your Royal Highness."

"I'm never gonna live this down, am I?"

"I would imagine not, Jaime Skeet," Janine says, "by the grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island and his other realms and territories as King, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith."

He scoffs. "You always was formal."

"I like to do things properly."

"Yeah, well, we're gonna need to do stuff properly today. Come with me."

We quickly follow him out of the room, and as realization of what's going to happen settles in, I feel my heartbeat quicken. This is it. This is the day we stop Moonchild or die trying.

I swallow against the lump in my throat. God, this is terrifying.

"The satellites are coming into alignment later on today," Sam says. "Comansys Tower is surrounded by Moonchild's mind controlled soldiers ten feet deep. But if we're going to stop her plans forever, stop anyone else from being mind controlled, we have to do it today."

"We have the skills and the technology," Maxine says. Simon nods.

"We've got our British luck and our Royal Majesty."

I decide not to remind him that Maxine and I are both American.

"And I've got a way into Comansys," Jaime says as we leave the palace and head for the gates. He gives a command to the roller girls at the entrance, and they open the gates, causing a group of zombies to look our way. "Come on. We got no time to lose. Run!"

We run off, my heart pounding in my chest. The only thing that makes me feel better is when Simon grabs my wrist. The familiar gesture puts me at ease, but I frown when I notice the side eye I get from Jaime. Simon notices as well, but he says nothing. There's just a look of anger and slight pride because he knows that what everyone thinks when I let him act so friendly towards me.