Chapter 19 - Jamie

I'm calling B.S on Penny's confession. It's been two months since she kissed me, and since then she's more then drifted away. To be honest, I think it has to do with the accident. I've tried to understand her point of view. I've even tried talking to her about it, but she denies every accusation I make. I've asked her if my missing leg creeps her out. Obviously, she said 'no', but I can't decide if I believe her.

Maybe she's just far more shallow than I ever realized. She wanted me when I was whole, but the moment that changed, so did her feelings. I can't pretend it doesn't hurt. When I see pictures of her and the gang out climbing or cliff jumping into the Apple River Canyon, it stings.

Thankfully, Dillon doesn't seem to be a part of very many of their adventures anymore. On occasion, he'll join them, but he's been spending most of his weekends with me. I guess he felt so guilty for abandoning me the last time, that he now only does it when he knows for a fact that I have other plans and wouldn't be able to go anyway.

As I sit pondering my friendships, the doorbell rings. It's a Tuesday night, but that doesn't stop me from wondering if Dillon has decided to pop by for a bit. My mom's working a late shift, making up for time lost while taking care of me, so answering the door is now my responsibility.

Maneuvering is growing easier with each day, and I'm able to push myself up from the couch with ease. I walk to the door and pull it open to find Clarice standing nervously on the other side.

"Hi," she says, her voice soft and unsure.

"Hey."

Clarice was strange for a while after the accident, but she seems to have grown used to my new condition. While she doesn't give up her time outdoors to be with me, she also doesn't ignore me like Penny and Drew do. That doesn't mean I'm not surprised to see her standing outside my door though. Actually, it's quite the contrary.

"Can I come in?" she asks, standing on her tiptoes to peer over my shoulder and into the living room.

"Uh, sure." I open the door wider and watch as she strolls through the door and makes a beeline for the couch, making herself at home. "You want a drink or anything?" I ask, closing the door and making my way towards her.

"No," she tells me without pause. "I just came to talk."

I nod once, taking a seat on the La-Z-boy across from her. I watch as she wrings her hands together, twisting the jewelry around her fingers nervously.

"So..." I begin, but she cuts me off.

"We've only got a week left," she says, jumping right in.

I can tell she didn't intend to lead the conversation is such a way because her eyes grow wide for a moment and then she drops her gaze to the floor.

"I just..." she pauses to glance up at me and a hint of frustration weaves a dip into her eyebrows. "Could you come sit over here? You're so far away."

I look at her for a moment, confused as to why it would matter where I'm sitting. But, rather than make a big deal out of it, I nod once and make my way to the couch. I take a seat on the opposite end before returning my attention to her unsatisfied expression.

Sighing, she turns to face me, edging her way a couple inches in my direction. "So," she starts again. "I came by because... I miss you."

"Okay?" I answer slowly, confused. "But I literally see you every day."

"I know," she says, bobbing her head up and down. "But, like, we don't really talk anymore."

"Then let's talk," I say, folding my arms over my chest.