Chapter 22 - Jamie

The ride home is uncomfortable, and I know it's my fault. I'd never intended to get myself into such a situation as I did. In truth, I'd honestly thought I was halfway to being over Penny, but it seems I was only in denial. I think I want to be over her. My heart and my head are both in agreement. They know that Penny is all wrong for me, and yet, somehow when she slid her hand over my thigh and leaned in close, her breath on my lips, I was a goner. She was my kryptonite and I needed to stay as far from her as possible.

Lynn sits quietly beside me as we make the drive back home. She hasn't spoken since we bid the rest of my friends goodbye at the campground. Her reaction makes me feel two things: guilt and annoyance. She's been completely upfront about her feelings for me, so I'm sure that finding me with my lips glued to Penny's was a painful thing to witness. But, I'm annoyed because it seems that I keep having to tiptoe around everyone else's feelings. I don't feel like I can freely pursue what I want because I'll risk hurting someone else in the process.

The more I think about it, the more angered I get. Lynn's silent treatment isn't fair. It wasn't like Penny and I decided to make out where everyone and their pet Chihuahua could watch. We purposely went back to the campsite so we could get privacy. There's no way we could have predicted everyone else would follow ten minutes later.

Deciding to be the bigger person, and hopefully put this all behind us, I clear my throat and glance over at Lynn where she's staring out her window. The teasing and goofy singing that we enjoyed on the way here is now absent.

"You okay?" I ask, pulling her gaze towards me. She shifts in her seat and shoots a smile in my direction.

"Yeah, of course," she says, but before I can question her further, she elaborates. "Don't worry," she tells me, reaching to pat my thigh in assurance, "I'll be fine. Just give me about two and a half hours."

"Why two and a half?" I can't help but ask.

"Well," she explains, "By the time we get home, shower, and watch Mrs. Doubtfire, it'll have been about two and a half hours."

"And Mrs. Doubtfire is your go-to movie for when you're having a bad day or something?" I inquire, my mouth twitching to smile.

"No," she says, "but it happens to be amazing, and I've been in the mood to watch it for two weeks now. Might as well watch it tonight."

"Ah," I say, my head bobbing slowly up and down in understanding. "And you're planning to have me join you for these events?" The instant confusion on her face has a chuckle falling from my lips. "Well, you said 'we'. I just assumed you were inviting me to join you."

"Oh." She glances up at the ceiling of the car, pondering my words before nodding. "Yeah, okay. You can join me."

"Cool."

"My showers tend to be pretty hot though," she tells me, her face serious.

"Okay?" The one word is drawn out in question as my eyes flitter back and forth between her and the road.

"Wait. You were only talking about joining me for the movie, weren't you?" she says, her face giving away the fact that she's highly enjoying messing with me. "Darn."

I laugh at her playfulness, glad to see the old Lynn back. For the few months I've known her, she's never been one to stay angry for long. Sure, I find her in a bad mood on several occasions, but when it comes to being mad at someone, she typically gets over it rather quickly.

"Speaking of showers," she goes on. "Did you wanna just shower at my place, or meet me later for the movie?"

"I'll probably head home first," I tell her, not in the mood to go into detail as to why I can't shower anywhere but at home.