Epilogue

"Lynn Reese Sodawaan!"

I stand, glancing at Heidi beside me with a giddy smile on my face as I make my way out of the aisle and up to the front stage. I can feel thousands of eyes on me, but my focus is on one thing: my diploma.

Taking the three steps to the platform, I glance out across the many faces, fear slithering over my skin at being in the spotlight. Smiling as I approach Professor Russel, I slide my hand into his extended one and accept my diploma with the other.

"Nice work, Lynn," he says, grinning with pride.

He's always been one of those people who considers students as his children. He's excited when we succeed and mourns our losses.

"Thanks, Prof," I say, releasing his hand and instead, going in for a hug. He chuckles as my arms wrap around him, his large belly bouncing as he holds me tightly against him.

"You're gonna do great things," he whispers into my hair, and I can't keep the swell of emotion from edging toward my tear ducts.

I'm gonna miss this place. These brick walls and uneven walkways, the midnight shenanigans and all-nighters, the deep friendships and temporary boyfriends. They're memories I'll never forget; moments I'll cling to as I adjust to the real world.

Wiping a rebellious tear from my cheek, I offer Professor Russel one last smile as I make my way off the stage. As my feet approach the steps, I glance up briefly and falter, nearly causing a laughable fall down the stairs. There, standing just three rows behind my vacated seat is Jamie. He's watching me, a playful grin lighting up his familiar face.

He's definitely changed. The sun has kissed his skin with a smooth bronze and his physique has filled out from all the manual labor on the farm. Overall, he's never looked so delicious. I always found him attractive, but now? My goodness gracious, he's a beaut.

Finally making it down the steps, I keep my eyes glued to Jamie even as I shuffle passed my classmates and return to my seat. I can practically feel the intensity of Jamie's gaze slicing through my brain. I want nothing more than to slip out of this assembly hall and hope he follows me out so we can catch up without all the hustle and bustle of excited new graduates. But, I've got friends that I need to support, so Jamie's just gonna have to wait.

By the time the last graduate descends from the stage, I'm almost jittery with anticipation. I haven't seen Jamie since the summer after high school graduation. I'd gone to visit him in Wyoming, as promised, and we'd spent the entire summer exactly where we left off. Feelings flourished but were never discussed.

That was eight years ago.

We'd continued to communicate by text and the occasional phone call, but life soon got in the way and our contact dwindled. I'd experienced a rather dull dating life in college. Nobody sparked my interest the way Jamie did, and I wonder if anyone ever will. Not a day has passed where I haven't thought about him and wished... just maybe there was still hope.

I don't realize we've been dismissed until Heidi pats my knee and tells me she's gonna go find her parents. I nod as I stand, my eyes swinging around the auditorium in search of a dirty blond-headed, blue-eyed hunk of a man. My parents take a few million pictures of me with my diploma before I get the chance to search for Jamie again. Before I can find him, Mateo, one of my good pals, approaches me and pulls me in for a rib-crushing hug.

"Congrats, Chica," he says, grabbing my shoulders and looking me over like a proud dad.

"I'm gonna miss you, Lindo," I say, wiping a non-existent tear from my cheek.