Chapter 26 - Lynn

The movie theater isn't even a quarter of the way full. There's probably only about twenty people scattered throughout the entire place, and Greg and I are two of those people. We sit side-by-side, munching on popcorn and Milk Duds as we wait for the previews to start. When I'd agreed to go on a date with Greg, I'd sort of anticipated it to be laid back and easy. So far, I've been very wrong.

My guess is that it's due to Greg being nervous. He hasn't told me as much, but first dates are always a little nerve-wracking. Especially when the person you're with doesn't feel the same way about you.

I sort of feel sorry for Greg. I mean, he's perfectly likable—kind of cool, even. He's the type of guy who respects woman and finds joy in making a girl feel special. He's the very definition of a gentleman, which is odd considering his coldness towards me when he'd come for dinner at my house the other night. It must have been his way of protecting himself and not showing his vulnerability. Who knows.

After Greg had warmed up to me a little bit at my house, I'd expected his attitude toward me to continue being warm and friendly. I expected joking around and goofy conversation, but since he picked me up from my house thirty minutes ago, we've barely uttered a word to each other.

Now, as I sit beside him, watching as he shoves handfuls of popcorn in his mouth, I realize just how ridiculous this is. If he actually likes me and wants to make a good impression, he's failing miserably.

"Dude," I say, pulling his attention away from the large blank screen ahead of us and back toward me, "You have got to relax. Try and have a little fun, at least."

"I know," he groans. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be so nervous. You're just—you're really pretty," he admits, offering me a sheepish smile that I can't help but reciprocate.

"Thank you," I respond, popping a couple kernels of popcorn in my mouth. "But seriously, Greg, don't take this so seriously. We're simply two friends watching a movie together."

"Hah!" he laughs, the dim lighting of the theater reflecting off his eyes and making them shimmer. "You did that on purpose, didn't you?"

"Did what?" I ask, confused.

"Friend zone me."

"Oh." I take a few seconds to chew as I let my eyes roam over Greg's face, and then a smile breaks loose on my lips. "Yeah, kinda." I reach for his arm, laughter bubbling from my chest as I take in his pouty expression. "I'm sorry. That was rude of me."

He waves off my apology. "Whatever." His tone could be misread as bitter, but I can see the tug of a grin on his face as he peers at me from the corner of his eye.

I continue to watch him, my fist against my mouth to conceal my amusement but when he finally cracks and a burst of laughter echoes throughout the room, I can't help but join him. A couple heads turn back to find the source of the sudden commotion, and I duck my head in hopes of remaining undetected by their curious glances.

This seems to break the ice because, for the rest of the evening, we find ourselves muffling our laughter behind our hands, our attention straying from the movie I paid a whole twelve bucks to see so we can whisper jokes back and forth.

Yes, I did pay for my own ticket. I'm not one to mislead a guy into thinking one thing when it's something entirely different in my head. So while Greg may call this a date in his mind, in mine, it's simply two friends enjoying a movie together. And as a friend, I don't expect Greg to pay for a single thing... even though I did finally cave and let him buy me popcorn. That's where I draw the line though. Food is as far as our relationship will go. I will never refuse free food. You could be a homeless dude with only two quarters and a sleeping bag to your name and I'd probably still accept a cheeseburger from you if you offered.