Worth It

Jonathan

The new season was under way here at the United Center and I was more then excited to be big a part of it. The crowds were getting full once again and everyone can feel how special this team is. People were believing again and we wanted to give them something to put their faith in.

I get my pads and jersey on and wait for time to pass us by. I talk with some the guys and try to hype them up for the home opener tonight. We were a tight group and these locker room conversations were always fun to be around.

"Hey Jonny, there's a guy here who wants to talk to you" one of the assistant coaches tells me as he pulls me away from a few of the guys.

"Really? Who is it" I ask.

"I don't know. Some guy named William Hartford" he says and my heart stops. I can almost hear the blood rushing through my veins as everything else shuts down.

"Okay" I say coldly as I leave my spot. I follow him into one of our meeting rooms where we usually go over game plans or just relax. The assistant coach leaves me with William and closes the door behind him. He points to a seat across from him and I take my seat. We stare at each other as I try to figure out what the hell was going on.

"Hello Jonathan" he starts.

"Hello William."

"I've called you here today for a proposal" he claims and I laugh dryly.

"This should be good" I mumble.

"I know you're young and you just got a new contract, but everyone needs a little walking around cash. Maybe a new car or to send some money home to help out their parents. So I am willing to give you 100,000 dollars for you to leave my daughter alone" he says and my eyes go wide.

"Excuse me" I ask.

He pulls out a envelope and sets it on the table. I see all the money in cash sitting there as he pushes it towards me. It sits in front of me as William sits there with the most mischievous look on his face. Who even has that much money in cash?

"I don't want your money" I say pushing the money back. Quite frankly I was offended he was trying to sell his daughters happiness like this. She deserves better than this.

"Listen, I'm sure you're a fine guy. I'm sure you like my daughter and she likes you back. But one night with you and she forgot everything I taught her. I can't have her unfocused from this future I have set up for her. She can have any guy in the world and I won't let her settle for anyone I do not see fit in this family. She needs someone who can be here all the time and buys her nice things. Someone who I can count on to make her happy, to make me happy too. You're just no good for her. She has a future and it's not just playing around all the time. She has great potential to make a man really happy one day and I'm afraid you're not the one for her. She's smart and passionate and beautiful. There isn't a thing she can't do" he claims.

"Except for choose who she loves" I say.

"She doesn't love you" he scoffs.

"And how do you know that? The girl that I've been hanging out with is not the same girl you're referring to. Because the Gracie I know wants to help people, she doesn't want to do what you do or do what you want her to do. She hasn't told me what you do but she hates who you've become because of it. She'll never tell you that because she loves you so much. But the thing is I'm nothing like her, and I owe you nothing. So I'm not afraid to tell you things you don't want to hear like the fact that I'm not going to stop seeing her. There's not enough money in the world that would keep me from seeing her" I promise.

"You don't know who you're messing with" he threatens.

"Maybe not. But I know that whatever that may be, she is worth it" I say.

"Just take the money. Go get your alcohol and new hockey things and prostitutes and go on your way. There's not a single thing you can offer my daughter that she can't find elsewhere" he claims.

"You think I don't know that? You think I don't realize that she is way out of my league? I look at her and question why it's me she wants to be with, why she knows everything there is to know about me but still sees me as a good person. I don't get it either, but I would be a idiot to throw something like what we have away for money" I admit.

"It's either you take the money or you guys separate another way" he threatens.

"I'll take my chances" I say getting up. "And don't worry. I won't say anything about this to her. She's a smart girl, I'm sure she knows of the things you've done hat is way darker than this" I say picking up the money and tossing it to him.

The money flies everywhere as he stares up at me. I didn't intend for that to happen but it made me seem like more of a bad ass so I wasn't mad about it.

I walk out of that room and go into the locker room. People were starting to head out so I finish getting ready and jump up.

"Dude! Where were you" Patrick asks as I follow the team out.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you" I insist.

"Try me" he says.

"Gracie's Dad offered me 100,000 dollars to break up with her" I say and he stops for a second. He starts to smile before eventually laughing.

"You're right. I don't believe you" he admits.

"What if I told you I took the money and threw it at him practically making it rain before I walked out" I say.

"Now I know you're lying" he insists.

We walk pass the room and you can still see all the money scattered around. He slowly turns to me with his mouth wide open and I nod my head.

"My god. You're actually insane, you know that" he asks.

"It's not like he can kill me, he might be powerful but I'm a beloved figure. He can't hurt me" I insist.

"Physically" he says.

"What is he going to do? Hurt his own daughter to get back at me? That seems like a terrible idea" I insist. 

"I don't know. I just don't think he's someone you should be getting hung up with" he says.

"I'll be fine, I promise."

We go out to the ice and start to warm up. I stretch out my legs and do a few laps to get my heart rate up. Whatever I need to get ready for the game.

I look up to the boxes and find Gracie standing up there. She had a sign that said "let's go Jonathan" and my number on it and that made me smile. I know her dad is capable of doing bad things, but he would never hurt her just to hurt me. He loved her too much to risk that. But I know he's really not happy with me now so I'm not sure where that leaves us.