Any Other Way

Gracie

The Hawks take down the Sharks in four straight games. It wasn't much of a western conference finals as it was a stomping on one end and a ass whooping on the other. Now the Blackhawks have to wait to see who they take on for the finals.

And even though they weren't playing games, they still had to practice. You don't want rusty players on the ice for the finals so they have to keep going. And I took my new job into consideration and took advantage of this time off.

I decided to invite a school of elementary grade kids down to a practice to watch then skate with the team afterwords. They can watch the guys do drills and mess around and maybe catch a few pucks that slip over the net before putting on some skates and testing them out.

After getting the kids bused over and they each get their shirts and some breakfast they fill in the seats. The teachers were just about as excited as the kids were to be there. It was exciting times here in Chicago after all, there was a really good chance the Blackhawks could bring home their first championship in 49 years, nearly half a century.

After all the kids get settled in to a spot I find a spot to sit. There was a kid kind of off to the side and she looked like she could use some company. So I sit in the seat next to her and she looks up at me. I give her a kind smile and she gives me one back.

"What's your name" I ask her.

"Ruth" she says and I feel my heart stop. I look this girl in the eyes and I saw so much of me in her, and now all I can see is my mom.

"Well Ruth, it's a pleasure to meet you. my name is Gracie" I say.

"That's a really pretty name" she says and I smile.

"Thanks. I'm a big fan of your name myself" I admit.

"Really" she gasps.

"Yeah. The other person I know who had that name means a lot to me. She's my favorite person in this world. She breathed life into this world I live in and I am honored to know her" I explain.

"That's awesome. I don't know anyone else with my name" she admits.

"It's a special one for sure" I smile.

"So, how did you end up working in hockey" she wonders and I look out to the ice. I see Jon step out and involuntarily smirk.

"I fell in love" I admit.

"Ohhhh which one" she asks and I laugh.

"That one" I say pointing to Jon as he skates over to us. He jumps against the glass and that made Ruth jump while all the other kids cheered and banged on the glass in front of us.

"Woah" she gasps and I laugh.

"Yeah, it takes some getting used to" I admit.

"Do you like hockey" she asks.

"I love it. Before I met my boyfriend I watched the Blackhawks. I've been a fan since I was a little girl" I explain.

"That's cool. So how did you meet your boyfriend" she asks and I laugh a little.

"My parents were very rich and I got dragged to all theses events with them. Jonathan was there to get my dad to donate some money to the Blackhawks but ended up with me too" I giggle.

"Awww" Ruth coos and I laugh.

"Yeah. It's been like some crazy love movie recently. I'm just happy it's finally settled down" I admit.

"Are you guys going to get married" she asks.

"I sure hope so. We've been through too much to not end up together" I insist.

"Like what" she wonders and I look down at her.

"I don't want to worry your pretty little mind" I say.

"Don't worry, I've seen it all. My dad was a bad man but a good daddy. He ended up getting killed over a drug deal and my mom ran away, so me and my siblings live with my aunt and uncle" she explains.

I swallow hard because that was my dads fault. He's messing with peoples lives and doesn't seem to care about these kids who suffers because he wanted more money. They didn't deserve any of this, now this girl sat here without parents because of him.

"I'm sorry to hear that. I lost my Ruth not too long ago and there's still so much pain. I guess it never does go away when you lose a parent" I admit.

"She was your mom" she asks.

"She was my best friend too" I insist.

"I'll be your best friend" she claims and I smile big.

"I would love that."

After the boys get done with their practice the kids all get on skates and take the ice. It was pretty busy out there but I find Jonathan and introduce him to my new friend. He helps her learn how to skate and I skate beside her. I had gotten a lot better since I first stepped on ice and now I can help other people.

So I grab one of Ruth's hands and Jon grabs the other. He tells her what to do and she listens closely. Honesty she was a natural.

"Awww! You guys are so cute" Patrick says as he skates over to us.

"Who's that" Ruth asks.

"That would be our friend Patrick. If you ever want to have fun, he's the one" I explain.

"Can he push me" she asks and I laugh.

"I'm sure he would" I insist.

Patrick comes over and stands behind Ruth. He slowly starts to push her before they take off around the rink. I smile as she laughs so loud and Patrick had the biggest smile on his face.

"You're pretty fond of that little girl huh" he asks.

"She's wonderful" I admit.

"Do you think our kids are going to be like that" he asks and I turn to him.

"What makes you think I want kids" I ask and he crosses his arms over his chest. "Okay okay, I do want kids. And when I do have them I hope they're kind and loving and generous" I list off.

"Well you worked wonders for me, I'm sure our kids will be great" he insists.

"When did you want to have kids" I ask and he shrugs.

"I don't know. I've been grown for so long that it doesn't really matter to me. All that matters is that I'm having the kid with you" he claims.

"I wouldn't want to have it any other way" I smile.