Changes

Jonathan

"Guess what" Gracie asks as she walks into the apartment. She wore a huge smile on her face and had a stack of papers in her hands.

"What" I wonder as she walks into the living room where I was laying on the couch. She straddles my lap as she smiles down at me. I grab her waist and pull her closer to me.

"We are going to be working together" she sing songs as she shoves the papers in my face.

"Wait... what" I ask as I grab the papers and take a look at them.

"I just got back from a interview at the United Center and I am going to be heading the activities of the charity variety" she explains with the biggest smile on her face.

"Baby that's awesome" I say and she nods.

"I know! I can't wait to start" she admits.

"When do you start" I wonder.

"Tomorrow" she says and I smile.

"I'm so proud of you. I didn't even know you applied" I admit.

"I didn't want me being with you be what gets me the job. So I did it all by myself and I got the job" she states matter-o-factly .

"Yes you did" I smile. She leans down and presses her lips to mine. My hands grasp her butt tight as she brings her hips against mine.

Suddenly the door swings open and Patrick comes in. He lets out a sound of disgust when he sees us on the couch and Grace turns to me.

"Have you ever thought about getting a place of your own" she asks me and I laugh.

"Every time Patrick opens his mouth" I admit and Patrick scoffs as he blows past me.

"Please. You love me" he claims as he heads to the kitchen. He opens up the fridge and looks through it looking for a beer I suppose.

"No. I love Gracie. I despise you" I clarify and he rolls his eyes.

"Whatever" he mumbles.

"Come on. You didn't think we were going to live together forever did you" I ask him.

"Of course not. But if you go off and start a life with Gracie then I'm just the dead beat ex roommate. The homeless one at that" he says.

"You're such an idiot, you know that" Gracie asks and Patrick laughs.

"Yeah but I forget that sometimes. Thanks for the reminder" Patrick quips.

Gracie climbs off of me and marches into the kitchen. She closes the fridge door in his face and he raises his eyebrow.

"What makes you think that you won't have anything if Jonathan moves out" she questions.

"Have you met me? I'm basically a kid in a slightly older kids body. As rookies the organization made Jonathan my baby sister and not shit has changed since then" he explains.

"You have a really nice girl who is really into you and a family who would behind you no matter what. Sure, sometimes they're back there to kick you in the ass but sometimes you need that and you know it. This world would be yours if you make it that way. You can't hide behind Jonny your whole life" she says.

"I'm pretty sure I can" he says.

She snaps the beer out of his hand and pours it down the sink. He started to throw a hissy fit and I was finding myself enjoying this a lot more than I should have.

"Why did you do that" he cries.

"Because this isn't going to help you get where you need to be" she claims.

"I'm right where I need to be" he claims.

"No Patrick. You're not" she says and he stops fussing. He looks her in the eyes and I can tells she finally got to him. He lets out a deep sigh as he leans against the cabinet.

"My whole life I've had someone taking care of me. Whether it was my parents, my grandparents, the junior hockey coaches, Stan, or Jonny. I knew that whatever I did people wouldn't blame me for what happened. They would say I was just a kid or he was misguided. I could hide behind them or they wouldn't allow me to mess up in the first place. What happens when someone won't fight for me when I mess up or help me see what I need to see" he asks.

"Patrick, so many people care about you. So many people would lay their life on the line for you. The people who know you, who really know you, will always be there for you. Even if you're not with Jonny he's always going to be there for you. Veronica is infatuated with you, she couldn't care less about what people say about you because she knows the real you. You have a family that at the drop of a dime would be there for you if you need it. No matter what you do you have people behind you... just make sure we don't have to push you" she explains.

"We" he asks and she rolls her eyes.

"Yeah Patrick. We" she says.

His lips pull into a smile and he slowly nods his head.

"You're right" he says.

"I know" she smirks and he chuckles. 

"Are you guys really leaving me" he asks. She turns to me and I quickly nod my head. I've been meaning to look at new places but I just haven't got to it.

"I guess so" she laughs.

"I guess I can survive. I'll just have to go back to eating TV dinners" he jokes.

"Or you could learn how to cook" Gracie suggests.

"I love the kids cuisines that have the little brownies in it" he says and she laughs.

"Yeah. You're going to be fine" she insists.

They hug it out and he announces he was going to head into his room for the afternoon. Gracie comes back and lays down on top of me. I wrap my arms around her and she fits with me like a puzzle piece. I rub her back as she lets out a long sigh.

"What are you thinking about" I wonder.

"How I just got a job and we're talking about moving and the playoffs are about to start. A lot is changing" she admits.

"Yeah. But that's not such a bad thing" I admit.

"No. I could most definitely use some good news" she admits.

"I got some more for you" I say and she picks her head up and places her chin on my chest so she was looking into my eyes.

"And what's that" she wonders.

"That I love you more than everything in this entire world" I admit and she starts to giggle.

"Is that so" she asks.

"Yup" I assure her.

"More than food" she quizes.

"Most definitely" I smile.

"More than hockey" she asks.

"Not even a competition" I insist.

"More than life itself" she gasps over dramatically and I laugh.

"Baby, you are my life."