The Rest Of Our Lives

Jonathan

After what felt like being away for forever, we finally got to return home. And to a new home at that. Everything was already here, the couches and beds and appliances. All we had to do is add the clothes and the food and the other little stuff.

And while most of it was already done, there was still some things I wanted to add. The most important thing was a fire pit in the backyard for those beautiful nights we can just look at the stars.

And since Patrick was my best friend he agreed to help me. That and I promised that he can come over and drink beer with me whenever he wanted for he did. So we dig a hole in a ground and start to make a circular pit with some stones in the middle of the backyard. It was a warm fall day here in Chicago, but it was quite nice.

"Guess what I did yesterday" I tease as we put concrete between the stones.

"What" Patrick asks.

"I bought a engagement ring" I say and he stops. He stands up straight and gives me a big smile.

"You didn't" he gasps.

"I did" I nod.

"Well where is it" I ask.

"It's not done yet. I had it engraved so it have to wait for it to get finished" I explain.

"What does it say" he questions.

"It says amazing grace in the inside. It's probably a lot bigger than anything she would ever ask for, but she deserves it. It would be worth only a fraction of what she is worth" I explain.

He just stands there and stares at me with his hands on his hips.

"Why are you looking at me like that" I ask.

"I'm just think back to when I first met you. I thought you were unloveable and that you could never be capable of loving something that wasn't hockey" he claims.

"Jeeze man, have a little faith" I laugh.

"I do now. But even just a year ago I would have never thought we would be in the backyard of your house talking about you marrying a girl that is way out of your league" he claims and I laugh.

"Times change. I mean within the first few days I knew Gracie I changed. I didn't want to be reckless, I finally had something I cared about. I suddenly cared about what happened outside of hockey for once. I cared about my feelings and her feelings. I wanted to be the reason she was happy, it is great knowing that I am.

And now I'm ready to marry her. I used to think I would never get married, but I know this is something I want to do. I want her to be my wife and I want to spend the rest of my life with her" I insist.

"I know you do buddy. I'm happy for you" he insists.

"Thanks man" I smile.

We continue to work until the pit was done. We fill the pit with some wood and start the fire. It ended up turning out great.

"You boys want a beer" a voice says. I look to the door and see Gracie and Veronica holding up a beer.

"I would love one" Patrick admits.

"Me too" I agree.

They bring bring us a beer and we pull over some chairs. I sit down and Gracie sits in my lap. I had her in one arm and a beer in my other hand. She rests her hand on my chest as she leans against me. We watch the sun set on this beautiful day with a fire right by us.

"It sucks we won't get to use this that much now that the seasons about to start" Gracie admits.

"It sucks Patrick just put the lease down on the apartment so I can't trick him into buying a house and getting one of these" Veronica claims and I laugh.

"Well our pit is your pit" I insist.

"Yet another thing I have to share with you" Patrick mumbles.

After a while him and Veronica go home leaving me with Gracie. We just sat in that chair and stared up after the sky. Summer was gone and the temperatures were getting cooler. But the sky was still something to behold. You could really see the stars tonight.

"They're beautiful, aren't they" Gracie asks.

"You are" I say and she giggles.

"I'm talking about the stars" she insists.

"You are a star. You're bright and beautiful. People look up at you with so much amazement and wonder. And even though I will never completely understand you, why you risked so much to be with me or how you love me the way you do, I still see how beautiful you are. You still shine light on me every chance you get. You're the brightest star out there and you can't tell me any different" I say.

She grabs my chin and pulls it up before placing her lips on mine. I feel her hand cup my face as she passionately kisses me.

I couldn't be happier with where I was in my life. Because I was right where I was supposed to be, next to her planning our future together. I haven't talked to her about proposing but I have not a doubt in my mind she wants this too. Because even though we don't talk about getting married we talk about a future. We talk about one day having kids and moving somewhere far away. We talk about the places we want to go and things we want to do. What we have, that's our forever. There's no doubt about it. Looking at what we were able to create here, that in itself is a work of art. And I couldn't wait to see what the rest of our lives had for us.