One Dance

Jonathan

I walk into a ballroom a little outside of Chicago and let out a sigh. Wasn't all that excited to be here but Grace was supposed to be here so that made it a little more bearable. I still had to try to make some sales regardless if she was there or not. She just made me feel more conformable in these situations and I would much rather do this with her by my side, like most things.

So I walk in and start to look around. It was dark like usual, lights and chandeliers hang around the gigantic room providing the light, but I could still find her because she always stuck out to me. Eventually I see a pretty girl with long black curly hair and a sexy blue dress on and a smile becomes tattooed on my face.

I walk over and wrap my hands around her waist and she jumps a little

I walk over and wrap my hands around her waist and she jumps a little. She immediately started to smile when she realizes who it was before turning around and pulling me into a kiss. I let her lips stay there until she breaks apart.

"Hey" I laugh.

"Hi" she smiles. "When did you get here?"

"I actually just got here. I would have been here sooner but Patrick was having a crisis" I say.

"Oh no! Is he okay" she wonders.

"Yeah. He decided to try to do laundry for once then washed his suit he was going to travel with. But it needs to be dry cleaned not thrown is a washing machine so he ruined it and I had to help him find another one for the game tomorrow" I explain and she giggles.

"First world problems huh" she teases.

"That and he's an idiot" I admit.

"Come on. I have someone I want you to meet" she says grabbing my hand and lacing her fingers through mine.

She takes me to a small group of people and up to a older guy wearing a all white suit. I could never, but I guess having money gives you confidence to wear something like that.

"Hello Dr. Martin" Gracie say as she brings me into her side.

"Well hello Miss Gracie, you look lovely this evening" the man say.

"Thank you. I wanted you to meet my boyfriend Jonathan Toews" she says and I shake his hand.

"A pleasure to meet you" I start.

"You too son. I'm a huge fan" he says as he let's go.

"You know, the Blackhawks are looking for donors" she mentions and I had to laugh. Was she about to get this sale for me?

"Really? That might be something I'm interested in" he admits.

"My father did it and we love it so much, being able to go to the games and meeting the guys and the other people in the organization. They have cool things set up for donors to be a part of something incredible like what the Blackhawks are doing this year" she says and he smiles. She's pretty good at this.

"Do you like it" he asks her and she giggles.

"I love it" she admits as she looks up to me.

"Well I have some concerns" someone says and we turn around. I see her dad walk over and I try my best not to roll my eyes. This should be good.

"Daddy" Gracie warns as she grabs my hand harder and pulls me closer. I try not to smile at her actions but it was really hard.

"Hello William" Dr. Martin says.

"Hello Paul. I see you found my daughter" William says.

"Well she found me. And she brought her amazing boyfriend with her" he says and I smile. That was nice of him to say.

"Amazing is a strong word" William says and I raise my eyebrows.

"You're right... amazing is a strong word" Gracie agrees and I turn to her. "And I don't think that even begins to scratch the surface of how great Jonathan truly is" she argues and I couldn't help but smile this time.

"I tend to think differently" William insists.

"And based off of what about Jonathan do you have the leverage to be making these accusations" she asks. "Do you know where he's from or how he was raised? Do you know how hard he worked to get to this point of his life, to be the third youngest captain ever? I don't think you're in a place to say anything about the type of person Jonathan is" she argues. Her dad just stares at her as he grits his teeth.

"It was a pleasure talking to you Dr. Martin" she says turning to him. "I hope you consider donating to the Blackhawks and help get the Stanley cup back to Chicago" she says.

"I'm sold" he says turning to me.

"Welcome to the team" I smile and he nods.

"See you around kid" he winks before turning around and walking away.

Gracie turns back to her dad and I could cut the tension with a knife. They stare at each other before he lets out a long sigh.

"Why are you doing this" he asks.

"Doing what, exactly? What am I doing" she questions.

"Being like this" he claims.

"Being defiant? Being outspoken? You're telling me that you're mad because I'm defending someone from you even though you know nothing about him? I would do the same if he was doing this to you but he's not. He's not spiteful and entitled and doesn't stoop so low to talk bad about you behind your back or in front of guests" she claims.

"I think it's time to go home" he insists.

"Okay" she says. "After I have a dance with my boyfriend" she claims.

"That's not what I said" William argues.

"Then I'll have Jonny bring me home" she says. He stares at her pretty hard but she doesn't back down.

"One dance" William grumbles before turning away.

I turn to Gracie as she watches him disappear. She lets out a sigh as he walks out the door. I pull her to the dance floor and pull her chin up so she wasn't staring at the floor. I can tell she was upset and that just broke my heart. Her eyes were so dark from watching her Dad walk away from her.

"Maybe we shouldn't do this" I say.

"You don't want to be with me" she asks.

"Of course I do. All I want is to be with you" I say. "But I also don't want to be what becomes between you and your dad" I insist.

"The only person coming between me and my father is him. I will never willingly be in a relationship with a guy my father likes. So this will happen with whoever I chose to be with whether it's you or someone else. And I don't want it to be with anyone else but you" she claims.

"Am I really worth all this" I ask.

"You're more than worth it" she insists as she cups my cheek.

"As long as you want to be with me, I'm here" I insist. I softly put my lips on hers and she tangled her fingers in my hair.

"Gracie" a deep voice calls out and we break apart.

"I should probably go, if I make him anymore upset he's going to blow his head off" she giggles.

"Alright. I'll talk too you later" I say.

"I'll see you around."