Two Of A Kind

Jonathan

As the season gets closer to starting that means so does all the media. And as reigning Stanley cup champions ESPN insisted on doing a interview with us. More specifically, the guy who scored the winning goal and the guy who won mvp to bring back lord Stanley to the great city of Chicago for the first time in 49 years.

Patrick and I pull on our jerseys before people start doing our hair and makeup. We sat in the United Center hallway trying to get ready for our close ups.

"Awww you look so pretty" Gracie smirks and I roll my eyes.

"I don't need this from you" I insist.

"Then what do you need from me" she asks as she stands by my side. I grab her hand and kiss the back of it before resting it on my arm rest.

"All I need is you by my side" I say and she smiles down at me.

The first thing we do is a sit down interview. There was a black backdrop and two chairs on the other side of the Stanley cup that was sitting on the table. There was no cooler feeling than looking at your reflection in that thing. Patrick and I take our places and the person interviewing us sits off to the side of us. After the lights were placed where they needed to be we get things started.

"Our first question is for Patrick" the man says. "Before you scored the winning goal to end a 49 year Stanley cup drought for a already storied original six franchise you were a rookie in a organization who's fans had all about given up on it. In your words, how did you and Jonathan bring hockey back to this hockey loving city even before that shot?"

"Jonathan and I had said it from the start, hockey can and will flourish in this city. The fans were begging for something good to come from the Blackhawks, we just needed to show it to them.

Our rookie year was kind of rough both on and off the ice together. I didn't really like Jonny and he despised me. But we were roomed together at away games and our lockers got put next to each other's and we were fine after that. Once we realized we were both here for the same thing it didn't matter how different our paths were to get here. We were both out on this team together for a reason and we made that reason was to remind the city of Chicago of what made hockey so great in the first place. We saw what we could do to a place like this and we made a deal with each other. We would put all of our differences aside and pick this city up and put it on our shoulders.

So we did. And it wasn't easy, both on and off the ice we had our fair share of problems. But we wouldn't be sitting here talking to you guys as Stanley cup champions if we didn't have each other" he explains.

"That is incredible" the interviewer nods. "The next question is for Jonathan, at what point during the season did you realize you had a really good team" he wonders and I laugh.

"This preseason" I admit. "We had a decent season last year that ended too soon in the conference finals. I had some stuff to fix personally with my health then the team got stronger when we got Hossa. It was honestly a matter of time that this group of guys got to hoist the cup. Going into this year we all knew what we needed to do to get back to the conference finals and eventually win.

Each guy was a huge part of this win. Even the guys who never seen a minute of ice time in the post season was incredibly important. We had the character and the fire to win. And that's just we did" I smile.

"I like that. This next question is the for the both of you" the man claims and I smirk. This should be good. "Out of the two of you, who is the more emotional" he asks.

"Patrick" I say.

"Me for sure" Patrick agrees.

"Really" the man gasps.

"Well up until Jonny met his girlfriend he didn't have any emotions at all. So of course he is the less emotional" he claims.

"He's not wrong" I laugh.

"How long have you been with your girlfriend" the guy asks.

"It'll be a year in a few days. So Patrick had to deal with me being emotionless for two years before that" I explain.

"Is he soft now" the guy asks Patrick.

"Well when he's around her he's definitely not Captain Serious. He isn't even the captain because she defiantly wears the pants in that relationship. He's just another guys complete wrapped around his girls finger" he laughs.

"I wish I could argue with him, but I really can't" I admit.

"How would you say your girlfriend made this experience better for you" he asks and I smile.

"All my favorite memories, she's right there next to me. I can't put into words how incredible she is. Every successful guy has a good girl who helped him get to where he is. But without my girl I couldn't imagine getting to where I was. She has such a beautiful soul and she's opened my eyes to so many things. It's hard to imagine doing what I did without her cheering me on and keeping me grounded. I can tell you that I would never be the person I am if it wasn't for her. The cup and the mvp was nice, but she's the greatest prize" I smile.

"Man I'm so happy I moved out" Patrick mumbles.

"Please. You know you miss me" I scoff.

"You? Not at all. Gracie and her cooking, I miss her every time I end up at Taco Bell" he claims.

"How long did you two live together" the man wonders.

"Two years. And I'm trying to room by myself on the road too" I say.

"Please. Whenever we roomed together last you always insisted we hung out" he claims.

"You guys argue a lot" the man notices.

"Yeah. We're like a angry married couple. Can't live with him, can't live without him" Patrick laughs.