Northern Lights

Jonathan

After to Arizona we go to Oregon to see the waterfalls. They were big and loud and powerful, everything I wished to be. And from there we went to where we are now. We had finally made it to the place I had circled on my calander since the beginning of this summer. For this stop on our world tour we ended up in Scandinavia to see the northern lights on display. It's a lot different than our last adventures, there was no physical requirement  or hiking and it was during the night instead of the day.

So we rented a house out in the middle of nowhere. It was kind of small, but perfect for two people to stay for a day or two. We get to make our own food and fish and enjoy the sights and sounds of nature. I was wild and free, it felt amazing. To create such a incredible life out here from Nothing was so inspiring and so refreshing after having things handed to you for months in end.

"Hey baby" I call out as I sit in the glass room.

"Yeah" she yells back.

"Where's the wine" I ask.

"It's in my suitcase" she yells back and I laugh. Of course it was.

I walk over to her things sitting in our room and find some red wine on top of her suitcase. I pour us two glasses and get ready for the show to start. This was our second night here but the view never gets old. So we sit in our glass overview room and wait for the lights to come out. I play some music lowly as I sit on the floor of the glass room. It was warm in here thanks to the heaters but it was cold outside. We were surrounded by love and blankets to keep us warm. Eventually Gracie joins me once again and she crawls into my lap. She pulls a blanket over us before I hand her a glass of wine. I feel her body heat and made me feel warm on the inside and outside. She rests her head on my chest as I smile down at her. The sun begins to set and the lights start to come out.

"Baby last night was hands down
One of the best nights
That I've had no doubt
Between the bottle of wine
And the look in your eyes and the Marvin Gaye
Then we danced in the dark under September stars in the pourin' rain
And I know that I can't ever tell you enough
That all I need in this life is your crazy love

If I never get to see the Northern lights
Or if I never get to see the Eiffel Tower at night
Oh if all I got is your hand in my hand
Baby I could die a happy man
A happy man, baby, hmm."

I set my glass of wine down next to us before taking her hand in mine. She laces her fingers through my fingers and squeezes my hand. She looks up to me with those crazy hazel eyes and I can see the northern lights in them. They were so beautiful. She... she was so beautiful.

"Thank you for doing all of this for me" she says softly. "I've always wanted to go to these types of places and not only do I get to do them, but it get to do them with my best friend" she smiles.

"These sights have nothing on you" I say as I pull her closer. I rub her bare ring finger on her left hand as she continues to stare at me.

"Baby and that red dress brings me to my knees
Oh but that black dress makes it hard to breathe
You're a saint, you're a goddess, the cutest, the hottest, a masterpiece
It's too good to be true, nothing better than you
In my wildest dreams
And I know that I can't ever tell you enough
That all I need in this life is your crazy love

If I never get to see the Northern lights
Or if I never get to see the Eiffel Tower at night
Oh if all I got is your hand in my hand
Baby I could die a happy man yeah."

"This place is so beautiful" she admits as she turns away from me. She smiles up at the sky as the lights dance in the sky. This land gives us a nice spectacle to simply enjoy. No rules as to how to experience them or a certain place to be to watch them. We could just exist and enjoy, just as life should be.

"It doesn't get much better than this" I agree.

"Can I ask you a question" she wonders.

"Of course" I assure her.

"If you never did hockey, what would you do" she wonders.

"I would be in a lot of trouble" I laugh.

"Really" she asks.

"Yeah. Hockey has been my whole life" I admit.

"You're so much more than hockey" she claims. "You're an incredible person. I haven't heard anyone who isn't my father say a single bad thing about you. We have been together for almost a year and I love every single thing about you. You could decide to quit playing today and I would say let's run away. Let's live in Africa and never look back. Or you could decide to play hockey until you are fifty and I would be right by your side cheering you on. So many people love and adore you and it's not just because you're cute or an incredible hockey player, it's because you're a great person Jon. As great as these one of a kind lights that surround us here tonight" she explains.

I look up to the sky for a second and smile. I thank god for giving me such an incredible girlfriend and giving her the same beautiful soul I have fallen in love with.

"I don't need no vacation, no fancy destination
Baby you're my great escape
We could stay at home, listen to the radio
Or dance around the fireplace
And if I never get to build my mansion in Georgia
Or drive a sports car up the coast of California
Well if all I got is your hand in my hand
Baby I could die a happy man
Oh, I could die a happy man
You know I could girl
I could die, I could die a happy man, uh oh hmm."

"You know" I start, "sometimes I don't want to play anymore. Hockey gives me such pleasure, but I know there's more to my life than hockey. But there isn't anything more meaningful in my life than you" I insist.

She smiles up to me before placing a soft kiss only lips. I happily kiss her back as we take this moment and make it a memory.