2) originality

1:32 pm

dustin: hey what's up
will: nm wbu
dustin: same i'm bored

will: me too wanna hang out?
dustin: sure meet you at the arcade in 15?
will: see ya then :)

dustin: we're going to the arcade togetherrrrr
eleven: awwww yayyyy
dustin: lol yeah but it's not like that

eleven: don't you wish it was
dustin: more than you know

dustin's pov

i pulled up on to the arcade on my bike. he was leaning against the bike rack with his hands in his jacket pockets. he smiled when he saw me.

"bet i can beat you on dig dug," he dared as i locked my bike onto the rack.
"there's no way." he smirked as we walked inside together.

*

"shit, really? screw you," i scoffed as he continued earning points. he beat my high score easily.
"sorry, bro." he shook his head at the game when he died.

"have you been practicing?" i asked, because there was no way he'd gotten that good since the last time we hung out together.

"maybe i have. maybe i haven't," he tapped his chin mockingly and i playfully pushed him. he fell backwards into another game and i rushed to help him up.

"dude you good?" i asked as he brushed himself off.
"got ya again, dusty." he laughed and i rolled my eyes.
"whatever."

*

we played till we were almost out of money, and then rode our bikes to the ice cream shop in town.

"can i please have a vanilla cone please?" i asked the lady behind the counter. will shook his head at me and ordered his own.
"dude, you're so boring. just vanilla? c'mon on, be more original!"

"like finding a telekinetic girl in the woods whilst looking for my lost friend who ended up being in an alternate universe? or more like finding a pet that later turns out to be part of an army for a supernatural being that has possessed that same friend?" i leaned closer because i had to whisper, and a little cause i liked being close to him.

"yes exactly," he said and nodded to himself.
"ma'am? can i add sprinkles, please? yeah. thanks." i looked to him for approval.
"that's more like it. just for that, my treat."

he payed for both of us and we walked outside. there was a few tables and we sat down. it was warm and sunny, but there was a breeze so it wasn't too hot.

"shall we make a toast?" he asked, looking mockingly sophisticated.
"it's the only proper way to eat ice cream," i said while nodding.

"to...originality. let us always have it."
"to originality," i repeated and we clicked our ice cream cones together. after finishing we got back on our bikes.

"i've gotta head home, my mom will have dinner ready soon," i said, wishing it wasn't true.
"you're welcome to eat with us," he suggested and my whole face lit up.
"i'll text my mom."

*

i thanked ms. joyce for the meal and said goodbye to will. when i got home my mom asked how my day was, and i told her it was great.