Chapter Twenty Six - Witches

"The Italian's called the "Strega". The Yoruba of West Africa call them "aje" meaning mother. Where my mother was from they called them "hexa". And here we call them witch. Over the centuries, vampires fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and burned them. Whether adversary or allies they have been a force to be reckoned with. Their ancestral magic anchors this city . There has never one been all powerful witch until Davina" Elijah explained while Hayley and i were sitting down.

"Who is now tucked in safe and sound down the hall under my protection." Nik came in and looked at the huge portrait of Celeste

"that Celeste was quite beautiful" I shifted uncomfortably "and a potent of evil according to our volatile artist in residence" the things in the room started to shake. I knew until i went to Greece my magic was out of wack

"Bethany" there was a smash and i jumped

"sorry!, sorry. I'm alright that Elijah had a life when he wasn't with a doppelganger but the fact that one of his love interests is stirring trouble somehow and is either here or coming back makes me uncomfortable" Elijah came over and pulled me into his arms which calmed me down. So he continued.

"Yes perhaps Davina's mistaken what she calls evil for power"

"or maybe she's both, if i remember rightly she didn't have the most pleasant of death" i commented

"Well Celeste was a powerful witch in her day. But she's been dead for over 200 years. What i don't understand. why all of these sketches now." he sat us down.

"why does any witch do anything?" Nik asked

"Witches are crafty buggers what if Celeste did some juju and...nope lost the idea" i huffed we then heard crashes.

"well that's going well" Nik commented

"If you are trying to win the girls trust, perhaps poisoning her one true love was not the most splendid idea"

"Are there anymore inopportune deaths you'd like to wave in my face?" Nik wondered

"give me a month, I'll get you a list" Nik and I chuckled in amusement.

"unfortunately its hard to be sympathetic to a girl who makes your husband gag up blood and brother in law show his true face. As if his current face isn't bad enough" Elijah couldn't help but chuckle at the last part where Nik just threw a pen at me but i caught it. There was another crash.

"Young, old, dead or alive, witches are a pain in the ass" he got up

"i take offence to that" i called as he left. i moved so that my head was leaning on his lap and the rest of my body was on the sofa.

"Elijah?" i heard Hayley say and he hummed with one of his hads running up and down my stomach

"there is something you need to know" i turn my head to look at her. she was about to say when the room started shaking.

"Beth?" Elijah asked i sat up

"that isn't me" we got up and went out to the balcony that looked over the compound. Nik came out and i saw Bekah holding a screaming Sophia.

"what the hell is going on" Bekah asked as i rushed down and took my daughter trying to soothe her.

"Davina" Nik told us

-

"it's okay shhhh it's okay, you're okay" i tried to soothe my still screaming daughter but it was difficult seen as her baby brother was still in my stomach and she could exactly get comfortable.

"here let me" Elijah held out his arms and i handed her over. i rubbed my temples, ugh unsettled magic, out of control witch, a screaming toddler and stomach cramps of a growing unborn child. Talk about taking it easy, finally Sophia managed to settle down. Marcel came in

"this is something a 19 month old shouldn't be hearing so i am going to take refuge in the nursery" i groan taking back my daughter. We went to the nursery where i sat her down and she began drawing. i sat on the rocking chair and rocked back and forth writing down in my journal. Everything was fine until i heard coughing and then another earthquake hit. Sophia started crying again, so i picked her up and held her as best as i could and went to Elijah.

Sophie was there just after it stopped.

"Was that Davina?" she asked

"yes a quaint little habit she's picked up." i walked in

"and one that needs to stop because it's scaring the hell out of my daughter. Elijah please" he took her and calmed her down.

"oh this is very bad, we need to complete the harvest now" she stated

"Said the desperate witch conveniently" Nik commented taking a sip of her drink

"I'm serious, that earthquake you just felt a preview of the disaster move that is about to hit us."

"why should we believe you" Elijah asks giving me back a calm but still shaken

"you've met Davina, you know her story. For months now she's been holding all that power of the three girls sacrificed in the harvest ritual. A force that was meant to flow through her and back into the earth. One person was never meant to hold that much power. It's tearing her apart and it will take us with it" i shifted Sophia closer.

"we need to finish the harvest."

"Bethany, go gather up some stuff for you and Sophia go to one of the pack houses. While Davina is her she is unsafe. This place is the root of all the action which i don't want the two of you especially how both of you are at the moment harmed." Elijah told me and i nodded leaving texting Pippa to come pick me up.