One: Tattoos & Attitudes

" You are safe " Samantha had been reciting to herself in the mirror. It had become a ritual , a daily dose of medicine. Glancing at her baggy clothes and oversized hoodie that managed to hide the cigarette burns and the scars while she inspected herself , tugging her brown hair into a messy bun before she turned towards the bed , grabbed her book bag , and made her way downstairs.

  " Good morning sam " her grandmother Nancy greeted her. She made her the usual ; a bowl filled with non-fat yogurt and topped with fresh fruit and granola. She placed it all on the counter while sam adjusted herself on the stool .

  " Anything new sam ? " Nancy glanced at her before turning back to the dishes she had been previously cleaning. While Samantha ate.

  " Not really, I've finished unpacking most of my stuff " she gently whispered. She had been staying with her grandmother for just a month given the detestable events that had occurred. She tugged on her hood and pulled it over her head as she grabbed her bowl placing it on the sink and smiling at her grandmother before grabbing her book bag and heading for the door . Gripping her hood ties and clenching her fists.

  " you are safe " she repeated as she walked the three blocks to her school as her grandmother directed. Nancy wanted to drive her but she insisted on walking and they came up with a compromise to have a tracker implanted in her phone . It might've seemed over protective , but they had their reasons she thought to herself.

  When she had reached the new school she bowed her head down avoiding eye contact with everyone. Thankfully she had memorized the way around the school through the map provided for her by the principal , which allowed her to find the office with ease.

Her mission was to be invisible , and that is what she would be.

" Good morning, how may I help you? " the office lady said , a bright smile displaying her yellow lipstick covered teeth .

" I'm new here " she replied shyly her head looking at the floor and every now and then glancing at the old lady.

" what's your name sweetie ? " she asked .

" Samantha Brown " she replied once again . The office lady gestured for her to sit down in one of the waiting seats while she looked for her schedule.

  She scanned the office its walls were white with blue and yellow stripes on the top . A big paw print in a yellow and blue lined circle with the words ' franklin bears ' written around it .Next to the sign was a black metal table  that held a bunch of pamphlets about teen struggles.  The rest of the office was composed by a few fake plants and chairs . It was your typical office.

  A slam of the office door caught her attention. When she turned her head to face the person causing all this ruckus, her light blue eyes were met with mesmerizing cold green ones which quickly tore away from hers . His light brown hair was slicked to the side . A firm scowl placed on his pink rosy lips. Dressed in black jeans and a leather jacket with a white T- shirt that failed to conceal his muscular figure. He had a unique trail of tattoos and piercings decorating his beautiful skin .

  She let her eyes linger on as he sat down , she had never seen anything like him. Her eyes raking over his tattoos on his neck that seemed to disappear into his white shirt. Each drawn to perfection and shaded to the point that they looked real enough to pop out , she was intrigued by it.

" Why are you staring at me ? "  he hissed at her .

  Before she could reply to him the old lady came back and handed her the piece of paper that she assumed was her schedule. In which she was glad because she could avoid his question as she grabbed the paper and made her way out of the office not daring to look back.

With the help of her paper she found her first class ; Spanish. She struggled opening the door and took shallow breaths as she walked in . She handed the schedule to her teacher who scanned it . He then proceeded to briefly introduce her and told her to sit down.

She couldn't ignore the whispering among the students.
Could they tell? Did they know about her ? Did they recognize her ? Her stomach churning at the thought. She slumped down in her chair as she avoided the constant gazing from her classmates.

"  So new girl, where ya from ? "

She tilt her head up her eyes making contact with the speakers face. His hair was dark black and his eyes were brown. His attire led her to believe he was wealthy and definitely well dressed. His nice custom Jordan's and a huge gold wrist watch some how going greatly with his button down shirt exposing just how well his muscles were .

He seemed innocent,but she knew better .

" Not much for talking huh ? " he said persistent on making conversation with her . When he noticed she still hadn't spoke, he tried again . " I'm Tom , and you are? " he sent her a sweet smile.

" If I tell you will you leave me the fuck alone? " she answered harshly. She wasn't here to make friends, and after what happened to her she knew she couldn't trust a soul, no matter how innocent they seemed.

Taken back by her unpleasant tone , he took a few seconds gathering himself up before settling on just nodding yes to her .

" Its Sam " she said putting her  head back down . She saw the way his shoes stood there in front of her almost as if he was contemplating on staying there and talking to her some more , but then — as if he remembered her agreement — he walked away.

She had learned the hard way that fairytales don't exist and she wasn't taking chances with anyone . No . No one would have the chance to break her .

Not ever again.

+