Twenty five : know your enemy

All was not lost .

Two little words that brought such warmth in such a cold situation.

She knew time was crucial for them both. Something about the way Shane sounded and did things this time made her realize the sickening truth. She was absolutely convinced that if they didn't get out now, they would most likely die there . That wasn't a theory she wanted to test out .

" how bad is it ? " she whispered making sure he knew she was referring to his wound.

" Nothing I can't handle " he whispered back.

She was sure he was lying, she'd seen the wound itself and how much blood was lost . It could get infected or worse if they didn't treat him soon . He was just trying to calm her down , and make her feel safe. As he always did.

" I'll get us out of here " he whispered again.

She smiled as she recalled saying similar things to sarah . She knew he was in no position to fight or overpower shane. Yet there he was again, trying to be a hero. Although deep inside she knew , the only way they'd get out was through her.

It was her that he wanted anyways.

She couldn't live knowing that something could happen to Eric. It would be another torturous hell if she were to lose one of the few people who ever really cared for her.

" it's going to be okay " she said as she prepared herself mentally  knowing what she needed to do .

Soft footsteps could be heard pitter pattering down the hallway. Letting them know that shane was back. Silence filled the room as kept quiet and listened to the sounds. The thought of him coming scared her . Sam didn't understand why he went through  such great lengths to kidnap her , other than the fact that he was extremely crazy .

She wondered what made her so special that he couldn't let go . What did he want from her . Was it sex ? Companionship ? Or was it just a plot in his dark mind to fulfill his psychotic desires ? 

She thought desperately all the way back to last year , hoping she'd fine some clue that would help . She hadn't really heard anything about shane , other than the womanizing man whore he boasted to be . He was so quiet before, observing everyone but only confiding in Trevor .

But he never was alone .

Every time she saw him he was walking with someone or in some group . He was always with someone , no matter if it was a girl or some boy .

But he was never alone.

If what she thought was true then there must've been someone who was working with him now . She knew it wasn't Trevor , he'd been shot as soon as he killed her family and sarah. Monica was dead as well , so that ruled her out . Who else wanted to harm her ?

The door knob twisted as sam collected herself upon his arrival. She listened closely at anything and everything that would give away that there must've been another person.

When he walked in the only thing that could be heard was his taunting sounds of each footstep tapping slowly against the cold chilly floor. Each step was like a never ending torment for her. She hated not being able to see where he was and what he was going to do next.

" Hi " he said, but her ears were more focused on the scraping sound dragging across the floor.

He brought something with him.

Once again a bright light was pointed directly into her eyes . She was blinded and tried to recover quickly as he turned around . In the mist of all things something silver caught her eye.

The keys.

Her body reacted before she could process it all. She launched her spit onto his face waiting for him to attack her. It landed right on his eye . As she predicted his body came extremely closer to hers and with one hard blow to the face she could feel her vision getting blurry.

Going against her desire she took every blow he gave her, she had to .

" you stupid worthless whore! "  shane screamed at her as he bashed her head onto the wall and watched while sam cried in pain. His hateful words continued, matching each hit until eventually he tired himself out. He looked proud at what he'd done to sam . Like he'd taught her a lesson she'd never forget. Smiling and clutching her neck with his palms he whispered in her ear  " I was going to give you a treat but now you're bruised. I'll come back tomorrow."

She stayed silent and watched as he got up and walked away. Waiting until she was finished counting each of his steps and the seven clicks of each lock. As soon as she was sure he left , her adrenaline kicked in. Clutched behind her were the keys that would hopefully free them from the locks. Shane always left the basement right away. Sam noticed sometimes he came in with his work uniform smelling like grease and old socks.

Even psychopaths had to work sometimes.

This was her only chance .She quickly fumbled with the keys as she tried to stuff all of them in the keyhole at once afraid that shane would come to the realization that he'd left his key ring .

When she finally freed herself tears almost rushed down . She knew she had to push her emotions aside right now though. It was the only way they were going to make it out alive.

She rushed towards Eric with ease after memorizing the steps shane took to throw him water. After freeing him she ripped a piece of his shirt and tied it around his head in order to stop the wound from bleeding and becoming infected.

" How did you—" 

" we don't have time for this I'll explain everything later ." She cut him off.

He nodded his head in agreement as they walked towards the door. She fumbled with the keys and twisted the door handle.

They were met with a black dark hallway. She closed her eyes and listened for the wind. Something she did often when she was held captive her first time. 

Erics warmth behind her made her strong and brave. It reminded her why she was still fighting . Why she never gave up. It reminded her that there was still hope for her messed up broken self. In many ways he was her glue.

She heard the wind sounds getting closer . At last, they found the door that lead outside. She matched each key with its hole while Eric stood as a look out . She was down to her last key , her hands began to shake.

The cold touch of a gun pressed against her head.

" Aww isn't this cute , we've got a little family reunion going on ."

" Hannah ."  Eric said anger lacing his tone.

" Hi baby " she smiled in his direction.

She knew it .

Hannah Hamilton was Shanes accomplice.

+