EIGHTEEN :Vending machine & Liars

Six days .

It had been six  days in the hospital.

Six days since her argument with Eric .

Six days without him.

No letter , text message or call.

The pain inflicted upon Samantha by his absence was highly noticeable.

Her eyes were red all the time from crying and had developed dark circles from lack of sleep. Although her external bruises were healing and she had gotten a lot better physically, emotionally she was a hot wreck.

She thought about calling and texting him a few times but each and every time she would start to dial she'd press cancel immediately and delete everything before the phone had it's chance to ring.

The thing is , she wasn't just hurt , she was angry.

He had made her feel safe , managed to break down her walls and somehow reach her heart - Only to then to stab it deeply. She hated that she had been crying over him. She hated the way she let him get to close enough to hurt her. She hated the way he easily gave up on them when things got tough but most importantly, she hated that she still worried about him. Day and night her thoughts were filled by him, worrying if he was safe or what he'd been up to.

" Can you believe them! Three dollars for a snickers bar ! Back in my day ... " Nancy ranted on as she came in the hospital room. She was agitated and upset with the prices from the vending machine from down the hall and she wanted the whole word to hear her.

This is how it was the entire week . Too afraid to even acknowledge what happened to her , Nancy pretended everything was fine while secretly lashing out in anger to innocent people.

She harshly shoved all of the items in her big purple purse, leaving the chocolate bar out of it . Focusing almost all of her attention on Samantha.

" Doctors said you'll be out tomorrow" Nancy recounted, opening the chocolate bar " then you'll be home and can go back to school on Monday " her eyes never leaving her treat.

Samantha weakly smiled at her grandmothers attempt to cheer her up, but the thought of going back to school terrorized her. News spread like fire , and by now the entire town would've known what had happened. The mere idea of people whispering about it, would bring back old memories. One's she had been trying so hard to forget.

" you know sam , I like Eric. He has too many tattoos , but he's a really good person." Nancy said, adjusting herself in the blue rocking chair.

Samantha groaned mentally as she scolded herself for deciding not to tell Nancy about the last conversation shared between Eric and her .

" I can tell he's had a positive effect on you . You haven't smiled or laughed this much since , well last time something like this happened " Nancy continued.

" yeah , I guess " Sam mumbled her eyes glued on the white bed sheet.

"  I'm not blind . I don't know what exactly has been going on between both of you , but you need to get it together "  Nancy snapped clearly frustrated " poor boy has  been sneaking in , in the middle of the night and leaving just before you wake up just to make sure you're okay . If that doesn't  show you how much he cares I don't know what will . Can't you just talk it out? "